Dukes Creek This Sat

JonathanG2013

Going to Dukes Creek for the first time on Saturday in the light rain. I know barbless hooks, stealth, and patience. Should I stick with my Euro rig I have set up know or go with dry dropper rig set up?

Also any sections better to start at then any other in the rain?

Meriwether Mike

Dukes lends itself to the Euro Nymphing. You will be in the chips if the water is slightly off color from Fridays rain. Pheasant tails, squirmys, eggs and frenchies should be the ticket. Get them deep in the holes. You want to be ticking the bottom with your drift.

JonathanG2013

Dukes lends itself to the Euro Nymphing. You will be in the chips if the water is slightly off color from Fridays rain. Pheasant tails, squirmys, eggs and frenchies should be the ticket. Get them deep in the holes. You want to be ticking the bottom with your drift.

Thanks with the water stained you do not have to be as stealthy than the gin clear water correct?

Hope to catch a big one but those do not get big being stupid.

pjciii

If you have a 4 or 5 weight it would be just fine if not 6 is ok. Water haul flipping and sidearm will work best.
No need for false cast.
Patrick

pjciii

True. Less visible. But as you put on new leader what do you do with what you nip off? Put in vest and throw away later or just drop it in the stream?
Patrick

JonathanG2013

When I put on new leader. I put the excess in my vest.

Also never fished dry flies in the rain. Would those work also if it is raining?

Meriwether Mike

I always use Trout Hunter 5X as my final leader. If the water is stained go with 4X and tip the odds in your favor. Fish a double nymph rig and only try dries if you see active feeding on top. These big fish know how to break you off so do not plan on landing 100% of what you hook.

JonathanG2013

I always use Trout Hunter 5X as my final leader. If the water is stained go with 4X and tip the odds in your favor. Fish a double nymph rig and only try dries if you see active feeding on top. These big fish know how to break you off so do not plan on landing 100% of what you hook.

LOL I have that same feeling with other trout streams. If I land the trout great. It not it was a extended release. Just would love to hook up with a few. If I land any big ones will take pictures to show you guys.

JonathanG2013

Anyone ever fish Dukes in the rain. Looks like it could be a wet afternoon fishing. I have had luck with Bass fishing in the rain. Did not know if trout fishing was the same with the trout liking to feed in the rain.

flyrod444

Had some great days fishing for trout in the rain, but never had much luck fishing in real muddy water. If trout can't see your fly they really can't eat it.
Tight lines

Meriwether Mike

Trout do not care if its raining. As long as its not a monsoon you are good. Bring a rain jacket.

pjciii

Most likely the water is going to be stained. Use 3x tippet if you want to land a big one. Use a powder or liquid on your dry fly after it gets waterlogged. It will keep it riding on top. Remember to tick the bottom with your dropper. There are a couple of really good articles on georgia outdoors if you search on fishing Dukes. Try to find and read.

Patrick

JonathanG2013

WELL, anything to post pictures of?

Did not end up catching anything. Current was strong. Lost the tip of my rod and have to send it off to TFO. Hung a fish and broke me off. Slipped on a rock and me and the rod went under for a second. Came up and tip of rod was gone. I continued to fish but it was useless with the tip section of the rod missing.

Kinda embarrassing. Water was not that cold though.

Meriwether Mike

That's part of paying the Dukes Dues!