Dunkirk the Movie

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Went with the wife to see it tonight. If you are a serious WW2 fan and have read about Dunkirk in any length you will be disappointed. For those who don't know the history it is a good movie. The air war scenes( Stukas, Me-109s( the movie used the post-war spanish versions again-argh!), spitfires, and a cameo Beaufighter and Heinkel 111 were worth the price of admission but the movie plot lines was very shallow.
Still, WW2 movies don't come along often anymore so i had to see it. :D

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think they made it to appeal to the millennials. A lot of them are not interested in a plot as long as there is a lot of action and blowing things up.

T-N-T

I thought it was a decent movie. I was really let down after seeing saving Private Ryan and inglorious CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored
I have high expectations for WWII movies now

This one was fair. But I really expected more, especially in the computer effects Dept. The men on the beach and the boats in the water just seemed a little light in numbers. But I may be wrong?

I have not really learned much about that event in history. Just that it happened

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Went with the wife to see it tonight. If you are a serious WW2 fan and have read about Dunkirk in any length you will be disappointed. For those who don't know the history it is a good movie. The air war scenes( Stukas, Me-109s( the movie used the post-war spanish versions again-argh!), spitfires, and a cameo Beaufighter and Heinkel 111 were worth the price of admission but the movie plot lines was very shallow.
Still, WW2 movies don't come along often anymore so i had to see it. :D

Now that we are almost 80 years after the battle there isnt much chance of seeing much authentic equipment anymore. Pretty soon we will have to depend on Hollywood to replicate everything.

In this link there is a video clip of a 98 year old Canadian gentleman who is a veteran who was in the battle. He gives a movie review but he also goes on to give some philosophical information. Really good stuff IMO.

http://www.avclub.com/article/97-year-old-veteran-dunkirk-reviews-dunkirk-258529

PappyHoel

I'm disappointed in most war movies I see. After serving and minoring in military science/history from a military school, I can always pick out inconsistencies.

The most accurate (till the end, tactics wise) war movie is we were soldiers. The book is we were soldiers once and young.

A good movie and you will understand what a defeat looks like.