Dunstan Chestnut Question

jmh5397

I am on year three now with my Chestnut trees and now I am starting to see a pretty fair amount of saplings growing around the trees. Does anyone know, if I replant these saplings, will they bear any Chestnuts? I wasn't sure since the Dunstan was a hybrid.

ucfireman

are you sure they are chestnut saplings? A 3 yo tree is young to produce nuts. I guess they could be coming from the roots, if so they will be just like the mother tree and should produce. I assume that clones could pollinate each other but not sure?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
no sprigs or saplings on my trees... about to start their 5th year. We had a fair amount of burrs last year off them at 3 years old.

Forest Grump

Can you post a pic of what you think are seedlings or suckers ? Are the leaves identical?

None of mine ever sucker from the roots; & if yours are not producing burrs with chestnuts in them, it may be a different species seeding into the open space? Are yours forming burrs?

But to answer your question: chestnuts produced by Dunstan X Dunstan are fertile & will grow a tree. It will be another Dunstan, as you are not introducing any new genes, but they are fertile as long as they can cross-pollinate with another chestnut tree (Dunstan, Chinese or American). They will form a burr whether pollinated or not, once old enough; but will only form a viable seed if successfully pollinated. Plant hybrids are not like animals.

jmh5397

***UPDATE*** Thanks for all of the responses. I contacted Chestnut Hill Tree Farm and was able to get some clarification. I sent them some pics of what I am seeing around my trees. Most of the saplings are suckers as Forest described above. I was told that if I dug down beneath the soil's surface, I would find that these "saplings" are actually growing from (a) the trunk itself or (b) off of one of the larger roots. I did that and it seems that most of mine are growing from the tree trunk and a couple from the roots. The good news is we can actually cut these off and use a root stimulator to grow another tree. I was also told that they (Chestnut Hill) save all of their chestnut crop to replant and sell. My concerns were with it being a hybrid (I was comparing the trees to hybrid corn, wheat, oats, etc) the tree wouldn't bear nuts and it would be 3-5 years into growth before I figured that out. Again, like Forest stated above, the nuts can be replanted and the trees produced from those nuts will also bear fruit. When I get home this evening, I will post a couple of pics of the trees. Thanks again.

oochee hunter

I got 5 that are 7 yrs old since planting, the number of catkins this year is incredible. Not sure how that relates to burr production but they look teriffic this year.

glynr329

Mine are looking good should be a great year. Never had a sapling. Matter of fact tried to plant a few guess squirrel got ever but I planted in the pots.