Dunston Chestnut Grow tube ?

Hawken2222

I planted four Dunstan chestnut trees 6 months ago. They are all coming along very nicely. My question is how long should I keep them in the grow tubes. Two of the trees are already poking out above the tubes. I am worried if I keep them in the grow tubes to long it could possible harm the trees. Attached is a picture of one of them. This is all new to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 36

sportsman94

I haven’t been doing it long enough to see anything bust out of a grow tube, but I leave them in the tube and figure I’ll cut it off later on. I would think if the tube creates some sort of shelter for the tree from wind then taking it off too soon could allow wind to whip it around and cause damage

I kept mine in the tubes for a couple if years. When I couldn't slide the tubes up over the branches any longer, to clean up and prune inside the tubes. I cut the tubes off. I have three Dunstons. One I cut the tube off after two years. The other two made it three years. My trees are four years old now, and approaching 10 foot high. All of my trees have cages around them.

I just blew up your picture. You are doing the same thing I did. Tube with PVC, Five Foot Cage with two T Post, Five Gallon Bucket with holes for watering. I watered twice a week for the first two years.

Hawken2222

Thanks guys for the feedback.

bhouston

Leave the tube on the tree for 3 years plus. I allow mine to disintegrate on the tree. It protects the tree from deer rubs and focuses the growth upward, rather that out ward.

Latest posts