Durana Clover

Can anyone tell me how late is too late to plant this?

I am considering trying to get some in this fall but I fear I have waited too late.

Also, does anyone have any experience with this spoecific seed?

Any information you could share with me would be appreciated.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I planted some a couple weeks back and I wouldn't be afraid to plant some more now. Soil temperatures above 40 degrees will get it germinated. If you've done a soil test, amended the soil and got your ph above 6, you'll be fine, however, in my experience, Durana is one of the more "forgiving" clovers. I have some that is 10 years old and we've killed deer out of those plots.

Some people prefer Imperial White Tail Institute, which is a great clover, but your ph, P & K need to be right for it to do well. You have to decide how "good" your soil is now and whether you should wait a year to get it right. If your soil test is good, I'd go for it!

PH rates.JPG
Durana1.jpg
shade clover.JPG
White Clover Establishment.JPG

Canuck5

LOL, invest in your soil first

Canuck5

Yes, Durana and most perennial clovers will spend the fall building a root system and really will shine the following spring. It needs that root system, to handle the heat and drought of the following summer.

Anyone have any experience planting this seed in January? I really dont want to mess around with much until after the deer season is over.

Canuck5

The benefits of a fall planting, is that it will give the clover time to establish a good root system, before the heat of the summer. Also a fall planting will ensure you have less weed competition, to deal with.

Yes, broadcasting in January, you'll probably see some come up in late February.

treemanjohn

Banned
You can throw any seed at anytime. The biggest is your germination rate. Farmers up north throw seed in top of snow. Once it melts it will drive the seed into the soil

I would throw seed today and let nature sort it out.