DVD+R and DVD-R

Michael Lee

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

ML

ramblinrack

Michael Lee said:
DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

ML
yep....exactly what i was thinkin.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

DoDahDaze

DVD-R and DVD+R are different competing standards for recordable DVDs. DVD-R is more compatible with older devices such as DVD-ROMs and DVD players, but DVD+R is superior on a technical level. Both of them hold 4.37GB (or thereabouts) per disc.

Then there's DVD+R DL (dual-layer), which is a higher-capacity (and significantly more expensive) version of the DVD+R spec. It holds roughly 2 times the amount of data per disc--close to 9GB per disc.

Almost all DVD burners these days can do at least DVD+/-R and probably DVD+/-RW (which are also different from the plain +/-R specs) as well. So, it probably doesn't matter what media you buy so far as it being +/-R. But it's a good idea to check your burner to see what disc types it takes, just so you don't wind up with a bunch of useless discs.

Ga-Spur

DoDahDaze; that clears it up some. What started this is I recieved a gift card from Best Buy in the amount of 40.00 dollars. I picked up their sales paper looking for a gift in that price range or something I could use .We had just puchased a computer with dual DVDs on it one of them DVD + /- RW w/dbl layer write capability. I found these DVDs for sale at what seem like a good buy ;but Best Buy had them at 100 pack DVD + R discs or 100 pack DVD - R discs ; I didn't know there was 2 different kind until then. Hey if you have read this for ; how much difference is the speeds of 16x, through 48x which you see on the drive speeds ? Do you need to match the speeds like have a 16 x DVD-Rom Drive + running with a dual 16x DVD +/- RW so you can make a copy of what you are running on the DVD- Rom drive+, without saving it to your computer?I'm assuming the 48x is faster ; but is it enough faster to make any difference? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

DoDahDaze

Ga-Spur,

The speed is important to match. You need to match how fast your DVD drive can write to the speed of the disk you place into it. Yes there is a significant difference between 4X and 48X.

I would suggest you take a look at this site for a quick tutorial about all of the DVD options.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,guid,28,page,1,00.asp

It provides a good overall explanation on the different formats and compatibility issues.