Dyeeros-it's all Greek to me

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Made up some venison gyros, a lamb is just a wannabe deer anyway. :) Seasoned up the deer meat with Greek spices, and made up some tzatziki (Greek yogurt-cucumber sauce,) add some maters and lettuce and flatbread, and.....durn , these things were good.

Attachments

• gyros.jpg
    gyros.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:

boneboy96

Dang that looks good!

shea900

We have done those before, too. They are real good.

Hornet22

ROMEO
NCHB, if you had a longer drive to&from work I don't think we could stand it. Good lookin grub, again.:cheers:

chadf

Recipe or more details !
Love gyros!!!!!

maker4life

:clap::clap::clap:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Jranger, those were made with ground. See no reason why cubed wouldn't work, though.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Jranger, those were made with ground. See no reason why cubed wouldn't work, though.
ok, now how 'bout the seasonings used? I've never done gyro's & never done Greek......... come'on hep me out here!:bounce:

chadf

Refer to post #6 ........

Your killing me here !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I didn't really use an exact recipe, looked up a bunch of gyro recipes once and picked what I like out of each one, and winged it. This should get you pretty close. You can add more or less of something, I don't tend to measure stuff much unless it's the first time I'm trying something new.

Take a couple pounds ground deer meat and put it in a big mixing bowl. Add about 1/4 cup of olive oil and squeeze half a lemon into it. Add 1 tablespoon coarse-ground black pepper, two teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt, two or three fine-chopped cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of dried oregano, a tablespoon of paprika, and a teaspoon or so each of cumin, dried thyme, ground rosemary, basil, and onion powder. Mix it all up and knead it like bread, slam it on the cutting board, get it packed as tight as you can to get the texture right. Put it in the fridge for an hour or two to let the flavors combine. Make it into patties and grill or fry them in some olive oil, and slice thin. For the tzatziki sauce, which is what makes these things so good, start with one of those 7-or-8 oz. cups of plain Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is thicker and has a little different flavor than regular yogurt, and works much, much better. Grate up a cucumber with a cheese grater, put the grated cucumber on a couple paper towels, fold them up around it, and squeeze all the water out. You will get an amazing amount of water out of the cucumber, and if you don't squeeze the water out, the sauce will be runny and watery, not what you want. Add the cucumber to the yogurt. Fine-chop two or three cloves of garlic and add them. Add a little shot of olive oil, and a little shot of red wine vinegar, not too much. Add about a tablespoon of dried oregano, and some black pepper. You can also put in a pinch of dried or fresh mint leaves. Squeeze about half a lemon into it, and stir it up. Stick it in the fridge while you're cooking the meat. Heat up some flatbread on a grill or griddle until it's warm and soft, add a good dollop of the tzaziki sauce, some diced tomato, the sliced meat, cheese if you want, and lettuce. Fold that sucker up and chow down.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Thanks for the instructions. Got some deer meat thawing and marinating to make this. We're just GON use sliced deer meat. Not ground. Can't wait! (y)(y)(y)

naildrvr

Good lookin' eats. I may have to try that.

Patriot44

Banned
I've always wondered who searches a forum for "Dyeeros".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Miz22, thanks tho, Ima have to try this.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I've always wondered who searches a forum for "Dyeeros".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Miz22, thanks tho, Ima have to try this.
:bounce::bounce::bounce: I just recently learned how to search on this new platform. I knew NCHb had made gyros, so I search that. It worked! :rockon: