Eagles

jgr

We have good dependable ringnecks and woodies until a pair of eagles sometimes two pairs show up. Has anyone seen your ducks get scarce when eagles show up?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I would guess that it is coincidence. Ain`t a whole lot you can about gettin` rid of the eagles though. Just consider yourself lucky to be able to see em.

wingding

I've seen them on the TN river. When they show up the ducks get real nervous and huddle up in the middle. The hunting is usually done when that happens.:banginghe

paulito

we had a juvy eagle try and pounce on a mallard we shot this past season on the black warrior river in alabama. The duck was going through its death throws and i guess was too tempting to pass up. a paddle slap and a bunch of yelling while we motored up did the trick. Really cool to see though. I have had big owls snack on my downed woodies before but this was a first with the eagles.

WESBULLDOGS

i have always been told that a Duck is the eagles #1 meal. Been told that if you can find an Eagles nest you will find numerous bands also.( That don't mean to go lookin!!!):huh:

SHMELTON

Banned
When I was on Reelfoot last yr. I watch a few eagles eatind some mallards that were just left on the ice. We also saw them flare several birds while hunting.

Skyjacker

This reminds me of one of the weirest things I ever saw. I shot a Blue Bill and watched a Pelican land next to it and try and swallow it. No kidding. We kept firing near it to scare it away but it kept coming back. I finally said let him try it, and we watched as he repeatedly tried to pick up the bird to swallow it. He finally gave up and flew off.

little rascal

Nic said it

I would guess that it is coincidence. Ain`t a whole lot you can about gettin` rid of the eagles though. Just consider yourself lucky to be able to see em.

I have seen them at Guntersville, and they scare the ducks to death, when they just appear or their shadow on the water as they glide over the treelines.
Also,I saw one at Franklin this year, it had some crows on it's tail, it actually went into a dive and came up with a fish in it's Talons.
I am just glad that I have lived 43 yrs. and actually have seen a few Bald Eagles and 2 Golden Eagles in the last 10 yrs. or so. Didn't think I would ever see an Eagle in my lifetime. I do consider myself lucky and honored to have seen them in the wild.