Early County

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Usually begins around the second week of March

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Things should be getting right. What happened to the Early County thread?

HIGH COUNTRY

Early County - No Season This Year

Unfortunately,

The latest DNR census count determined that the population was so low in Early and adjoining Miller county, no season this year.

Prob can expect it to take at least three years for the population to rebound to the point of reinstating the season.

Just too much ag, prob some other issues also.

RABJR

I was looking for this thread earlier today and did not see it. I haven't hunted Early at all this year. Would like to make a trip before Christmas though.

HIGH COUNTRY

Seriously

I emailed Son, he hasnt been on forum this year.

I tell you, I wish I knew half of what he does around the outdoors and esp deer hunting.

I think he was the one that got the original thread going on early county...

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Actually was probing the thread to see if Son had been back. I couldn't see it either, dragged it up using search function and now it's back up for whatever reason. Time should be getting right. Some of my place is in Early. I hope Son is ok. Wish there was a way to know

HIGH COUNTRY

Son

He answered my email, he is hunting some - passing up small bucks as usual.

Sounds like he is doing pretty good.

We are all getting older, some more than others... Just a few more aches and pains, and not quite the energy.

Maybe he will chime in soon...

mcfay

rut

Jumping in on ya'lls thread. I hunt just south of the Early /Miller line. Yesterday evening was very active . I saw 4 bucks ( 2 mature shooters) , 2 two year olds and 9 does. All bucks were actively cruising and one mature ( the largest) was wanting to chase some does but the intensity of full rut is still not here yet. I would think next week should be wide open. I ended up letting the 2nd shooter go trying to get a shot on the largest which was a big pot bellied 8 pt well outside his ears.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Jumping in on ya'lls thread. I hunt just south of the Early /Miller line. Yesterday evening was very active . I saw 4 bucks ( 2 mature shooters) , 2 two year olds and 9 does. All bucks were actively cruising and one mature ( the largest) was wanting to chase some does but the intensity of full rut is still not here yet. I would think next week should be wide open. I ended up letting the 2nd shooter go trying to get a shot on the largest which was a big pot bellied 8 pt well outside his ears.

Excellent report. Good luck Mcfay.

mcfay

Saturday morning (12/9/2017) 8 pt.

Hunted Saturday, Sunday evening ( 3pm until dark) and Monday (1pm until dark). Woods are alive right now and the RUT is on. I saw plenty of does and bucks each sitting. Two in particular that are older and larger than this deer, they just would not give me a shot. Took him Saturday around lunch as he was chasing 2 does. Watching is sometimes as enjoyable as shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_130055039.jpg
    IMG_20171209_130055039.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 309

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey Y'all, i'm still kicking. Haven't posted since Feb of last year because i couldn't get on the forum. Thanks to NCHILLBILLY for getting me back on.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In my club which splits the Miller, Early co line. We maintain and manage year round. Here we are, one week after the season closed. Installing a tower stand in a spot that proved to be good this last season. From a temporary blind, two mature bucks were killed here. Many other bucks and lots of does were seen here too. Put more into it, and you'll always get more out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180120_130351021.jpg
    IMG_20180120_130351021.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 359

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had a timber clear cutting first of the season, really pot holed our roads. Here are photo's, loading my box blade to take to the woods, and arrived at the woods to leave with the tractors for some weekend work if it doesn't rain. We've already drained all the holes, especially in our main road. our 17 food plots are looking great, so roads are the target for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_150202601.jpg
    IMG_20180122_150202601.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20180123_144614659.jpg
    IMG_20180123_144614659.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 317

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We're serious about managing our property and food plots. In my opinion, having a golf cart is a must for folks my age. Had this one three years now, wish i had bought one long before that. Amazed at where this thing can go. In the thick, out in wet areas as long as it doesn't get over the motor. Great for dragging game out or hauling. Can also be surrounded with camo and be used for a comfortable blind. Little ice chest in the back with refreshments and food.

Attachments

• May18.jpg
    May18.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 322
  • A579.jpg
    A579.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 323
  • A424.jpg
    A424.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 321
  • a554.jpg
    a554.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 322

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
After deer season, everybody must have gone to face book.

Attachments

• SUNP0035.jpg
    SUNP0035.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 274

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not as much white as some i've shot, but he's piebald. Hope to get him next season, he should be 4.5 by then.

Attachments

• PICT0075.jpg
    PICT0075.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 269
  • PICT0066.jpg
    PICT0066.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 267

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yes, i'm still around. My password didn't work here for almost a year. Been at this hunting stuff for many years. Found this old letter Florida Game and Fish Commission sent my employer, GTE, when i lived in Florida. I was a Floridian the first forty years of my life and was very active working for sportsmen. Thought some would find this interesting, to see that sometimes your efforts don't go unnoticed. The letter dates to the mid 1970's

Attachments

• GTEletter.jpg
    GTEletter.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 227