Early, Miller and Seminole counties Ga

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We filled the old thread up, so a new thread is in order. A photo always improves a post. Looking like we're going to have another good deer season. Watch out for the ticks and snakes. Use the wind in your favor, make sure your stands are safe and lets all have a good'un.

Attachments

• A575.jpg
    A575.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,399

twtabb

Will have timber crews on my land in the next month or so. Good timing on my part. Been waiting on it to dry up so they could get in there without having to make some access to wet areas.
Hoping when they finish deer will be right back in there for some good hunting around December.

Maybe higher timber prices will make it worth while.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I haven't kept up with timber prices since i retired from managing such. Know it got pretty low there for a spell. Our best bucks started showing themselves after Thanksgiving last season. Before that, it was does and small bucks for the most part.

RABJR

Went up this weekend. Disced, planted, limed and fertilized, and dragged dirt on top. Saw some does and one buck. The buck I jumped while I was crunching around on foot in the woods. I unexpectedly got about 30 yards from him before he jumped and kind of hopped casually away before he stood and walked off. Very strange, he didn't even blow at me and I was very stinky from working all day. He was hard horned with good mass, spread still inside the ears but not a basket. He was already out of velvet but couldn't tell tine length or tine count. Thinking he was 2 or 3, maybe 3. Put out a stand, one trail camera (ran out of time). I didn't get done dragging until 9:45pm. Woke up at 3am to drive back to central FL with just enough time to clean up and go to work. On two plots I planted a 5way mix of: clover, oats, rye, rape, and wheat. On another plot I planted buck forage oats. Had a very strong 30 minute rain Saturday and a good 20 minute rain Sunday afternoon. one of our other guys is going to plant in 2 weeks thinking rain will be better then but I wanted to go ahead and get mine out even if rain is spotty- my areas will be minimal disturbance now throughout hunting season... At least on my part.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For the last couple weeks, a cut over on our hunting property has been loaded with doves. Right up to Sunday of this past weekend. So, i renewed my HIP, and went up yesterday to hunt doves. They were gone, bet i didn't see ten doves all day. No doves so i checked camera's, baited the hog traps, checked on the tractor and did some scouting. Two fine bucks were in front of one of my cameras when i got there, both in velvet. They ran off a bit, then stopped and watched me leave. Two things i don't understand. Spring turkey season each year, we have plenty of turkeys until opening day, then they are gone. We have our feeders shut off to be legal. But on opening weekend we hear folks shooting turkeys off in the distance on both sides of us.
Now, Dove season. This is the second year i've gotten the HIP permit on the license with hopes of shooting doves that were thick on the property. Go up couple days after the season opens, doves gone.
Wondering if baiting is causing those two unexplained happenings? Something smells like a rotten mullet in my opinion. Our cut over is growing up with weeds that's putting off small black seeds, which the doves were keying in on. The natural feed is still there, i see no reason for em leaving. Anyway, while checking the fields, i did see where a large hog has gone down one of the roads. Hope to get him, he's been around for a couple years now, and destroys food plots. Pictures of the hog shows him to be a very large boar. Nocturnal beast.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Checking the camera's for over two months now, i have seen nothing that will beat my best taken last season. But you know what? I know of several that will show up when the rut begins, that wont be on camera until then. Seeing some good bucks, some over 200 pounds, but none are on my list for this coming season. Depends on how the season is going, i just might cave.

Attachments

• A299.jpg
    A299.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,219

RABJR

Yeah Son that buck was a beast. I haven't seen any bucks on camera older than 2 so far... Maybe the food plots I put in will lure some over. Like you said- shoot a few does and keep the rest for rut bait. I've got one doe that 5- she's easily identifiable as she's white from all 4 knees down. She always gets bred, I keep her around and so far the other guys haven't had an opportunity I suppose (thank goodness).

Bear10

This cool weather will definitely make you want to sit in a tree. They say it might warm back up by the end of the week. I have been seeing plenty of deer in the peanut fields, but i saw several fields starting to turn the peanuts over for harvesting. That will help put the deer back into the woods.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hello Boys, bet y'all miss me and all my stories.
Well, it's hunting season and guess who shows up? Timber crews that's who. I ask em, do y'all work during the summer? the dust from those logging trucks going in and out got to my sinus's yesterday. I don't understand how those logging crews take it. Think about it, they're cutting trees with poison oak and ivy all over em. Running over poison sumac and other irritable plants. This all gets mixed in the dust the trucks and equipment stirs up. Awakened last night with the sinus's all stopped up, with a bad sinus headache. Isn't it nice they always wait until our hunting season begins before cutting timber? This time, not on us, but they're using our gate and road to get into the land locked land. 29 years on the same property and almost all timber activity has been during hunting seasons. First thing i noticed yesterday was, the activity has hogs running all over the place. Everywhere i went, there were hog tracks. Next think noticed was the dust in the air. Trucks hauling couldn't be seen from behind for the dust. We need rain bad. Every swamp and pond is dry. Here's one to watch, but not shoot. He loves watermelon.

Attachments

• A595.jpg
    A595.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 1,115

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, i know the trail camera time isn't correct, must have changed itself when i changed batteries. But don't worry, i've corrected the problem. Bet some of ya are wondering where the big bucks are? Well, see that thick stuff back there? That's where they are until it gets good and dark.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When dove season opened, i had hundreds hanging out on a cutover. Third day when i decided to hunt, they were gone. Think i've found out why they left. Farms are harvesting sunflowers and brown top. Driving by a millet field yesterday and it was covered with doves coming and going.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dry as a bone again, timber crew cutting adjacent land, using our roads to get er done. Nothing but dust everyday now. Come on rain. Nobody bow hunting on us again this season.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Waiting on all the ads to load up, forgot what i was going to post.
Later y'all

Attachments

• A598.jpg
    A598.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 1,092

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I may hunt if it ever rains again. Right now, it's bone dry and dusty caused by logging on adjacent property. Too darn noisy and dusty for me at present. I'm still wondering if they cut timber during the summer because it's always cut during hunting season around us and on us. It's been like that for the 29 years i've been there. This pond is usually about 8 feet deep, it's bone dry now. Farms irrigating dries our surface water up in less than two weeks.

Attachments

• A207.jpg
    A207.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,043

Bear10

The dust can be a bad thing this tme of year, especially if you have allergies. I was wanting to wash my camper, but there isn't any reason to do it until the timber crews finish or it will be dirty again the next day. There is a chance of rain today, hopefully we all get some of it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pressure washed my camper to get the green off, can't beat the dust with that dirt road there. Pressure washed our cooking porch too, always do that to get rid of the dust and spiders that have settled over the summer. Took out a few wasp too, both kinds. I like a clean place to cook and eat. Looked at radar, there's rain, but not where we need it.

Bear10

We had a light shower come through this morning here in Tally, it was barely enough to wet the ground at my house. We definitely need some rain around N FL & S GA.

florida boy

The dust can be a bad thing this tme of year, especially if you have allergies. I was wanting to wash my camper, but there isn't any reason to do it until the timber crews finish or it will be dirty again the next day. There is a chance of rain today, hopefully we all get some of it.

I hate to admit this but.......FYI dont use " Purple power " to clean the outside of your camper.....I used some diluted down the other day to remove the mold off my aluminum camper and it removed the paint.....stupid mistake but atleast it isnt my house that i messed up on.....