Early, Miller and Seminole counties Ga

Bear10

Son,
Have you ever tried using some of the products that come in a bottle for attracting hogs? I have never used them personally. You might want to ask the question on the hog hunting forum. Sometimes changing your bait will work.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Soured my corn and mixed in some cheap cane type syrup. Worked pretty darn good. We got so much pork now, i've let the traps sit idle for a spell.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
As many of you know, i usually kill my three gobbler limit each year. And with a personal rule of only shooting one per day to make the season last longer. But not this year, even though i had bought a new decoy, new calls and other equipment. I know it's probably a one man stand, but i'm sick and tired of government adding more regulations every time they think of another controlling process. I know, somebody, or persons think they had a great idea when they came up with reporting kills, receiving a number to put on the license. But, it will not work for anything constructive. There will never be an accurate reporting with such a system. It's just more for us to do, and more control. If DNR is trying to stop overkills, then go to a three tag system. Tag the bird with date and county. Same goes for deer this coming season. Tag system, tag the kill with date and county. So, what have i done with my turkey hunting equipment. Ol thirty dollar 12 gauge sits for home protection. Decoy, went in the flowerbed. Neighbors think it's neat. Calls? I have em displayed, ten of em make a neat display for friends to check out when they come over. Popup blinds? Well a wind got the blind i put up first of the season, ripped it to threads. The others will be used in deer season. If i go deer hunting. I'll fish and put in deer plots instead of turkey hunting. Plots will be easier this year, wont be planting for turkeys anymore. At 74 years of age, i can remember when we had less regulations, when we really had freedom in this nation. Younger folks don't miss that, because control and regulations is all they've ever known.

Attachments

• A876.jpg
    A876.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 749

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Didn't have to get up at 4:30 in the morning, drive 38 miles, walk half a mile to get in a damp dark blind that could have a snake in it to catch these fish. Didn't hear any gobbles on the lake, but in high winds, whitecaps in Seminole, managed to get enough for a mess for two. Water's been stained, winds have been bad, but i'm still fishing when i have an urge to go. Noticed folks fishing several shellcracker beds, but i have a personal rule of not joining in on people already on em.

Attachments

• Catsapril2016.jpg
    Catsapril2016.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 818

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's been a wet spring, too wet to plow so to speak. This week, finally had three food plots dry enough to harrow. Several more are looking like they could be broke, but rains coming again. Found where coyote had broke up a turkeys nest. Coyote tracks all around the nest. Fresh hog sign showing up again, with small pigs. I've caught or shot 27 since last September. As timber lands in the region continue to be clearcut, hogs keep showing up. So, we've put in good hog control effort, two traps with a third one being made. It's terrible what they do to a food plot after it's planted. They don't miss a seed even if the seed is treated. Hog hunting, that's what we're doing because everybody quit turkey hunting.

Attachments

• A840.jpg
    A840.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 760
  • A839.jpg
    A839.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 730

Bear10

Son,
I like watching all wildlife as much as I enjoy harvesting animals. I know those hogs can tear up the woods and some wild hogs are very tasty if they have been feeding in the agriculture fields. It's hard to keep the hog population under control.

RABJR

Shot a mess of hogs at our other camp. Some of our guys tried o go up for a controlled burn at the beginning of April but were denied because of the winds and humidity. A lot of the Early county prop was wet still as well. I have not been up since deer season ended.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here lately, the hogs have been coming and going. Presently there's a big sow with small pigs in one block. I'll keep the traps going, that gets one or two now and then. Lots of rooting along the edges of mayhaw slough couple days ago. Was checking the mayhaws when i saw where the hogs had been. When the farms begin irrigating, our woods will dry up. The hogs will move on then, they need plenty water. Seeing some large hog tracks.

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 675

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
As i said at the beginning of this turkey season. My club quit turkey hunting. We're mostly older folks who are tired of being regulated to the hilt. So, we started fishing earlier this year than normal. Specks, bluegills, and big catfish are taking the bait in Lake Seminole, SW Ga. Go prepared, take worms, minnows and crickets to make sure you have the right bait for whatever fish you find biting. Biggest cat so far weighed 8 pounds, but hung into some much larger. Already broke two bream buster poles on big cats. Beats getting up at 4:30 in the morning to go after turkeys. Saving bunch of gas, because i can fish right here at the house.

Attachments

• eightpounder.jpg
    eightpounder.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 629
  • Catspeck.jpg
    Catspeck.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 644
  • icechestfish.jpg
    icechestfish.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 629

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
've been an avid turkey hunter for many years. Ga DNR added more regulations and rules this year, so i QUIT turkey hunting. Like everything else government wants the people to jump through too many hoops to do anything. It's people control. Nothing against basic regulations. When i see rules being applied that doesn't do anything constructive, i'm against it. Calling in to report the kill, getting a number to apply to the license will not do one single thing to determine turkey numbers. If there's a drop in the turkey population, it's mostly due to loss of habitat. We've lost thousands of acres of wooded lands to cattle pasture and new farms in the last ten years. Poachers, and those who kill more than the limit will not report their kills. The new rules only give the honest legal hunters more to do. That's my rant about that. For anyone who doesn't agree with me. How many letters have you received from DNR? I've been at this a long time, game management, the Commission etc.

Attachments

• Commission.jpg
    Commission.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 625

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Originally moved to Lee Co. Al in Feb of 82. Wife was killed in a car crash in August of 83 as she was coming home from work. I then moved to Seminole Co. Ga, where i've made my home on Lake Seminole.

RABJR

Sorry to be informed of your misfortunes. Not sure what prompted that statement. Nice document from the Florida game and Fresh water Fish Commission.

RABJR

Anyone got any good pics? I have not been to early co. since deer season ended and do not have any trail cams out (at least that I remember???)