Eating hybrids, white bass, striper

blam65

I was wondering how good these fish taste and if there is a anything i need to watch for when I fillet them-mud vein, red colored meat etc? With the run coming soon on the hooch I’d like to try to eat some since if you get into them you can catch a mess of them.

The mtn man

As for stripers I perfect 12pounders or smaller, the bigger ones are good too, but texture is more like crab meat, would probably be good substitute for crab meat in a crab boil of some sort.

jfinch

I have prepared them two different ways with great success. As said above when you fillet trim away any blood line/red meat. One way is to marinade bite size chunks in Crystal hot sauce for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain it off and make up your favorite beer batter and batter and fry in hot peanut oil. The other way is to brine fillets in salt water and brown sugar overnight. Fire up the smoker and smoke the fillets, then use this as a substitute in your favorite smoked Tuna dip recipe.

watermedic

I filet them. Then cut the filet lengthwise down the middle of the bloodline.

Trim off all of the red meat.

After that you can cook it any way you wish and it is as good as any fish in the water.

One of my favorites is to season it with salt and a little old bay. Put it in a baking dish with a pat of butter, and a slice of onion and lemon on each piece.

Bake at 375 until it flakes easily.

Awesome!!

The mtn man

I filet them. Then cut the filet lengthwise down the middle of the bloodline.

Trim off all of the red meat.

After that you can cook it any way you wish and it is as good as any fish in the water.

One of my favorites is to season it with salt and a little old bay. Put it in a baking dish with a pat of butter, and a slice of onion and lemon on each piece.

Bake at 375 until it flakes easily.

Awesome!!
we had a 15 pounder I caught yesterday for diner with same recipe minus the onion, I used orange rather than lemon, it was out of this world.

baddave

i've always heard to cut out the red meat but i say try it and decide for yourself .. we are totally ok w/ it.. but we're old folks that are easy to please . our favorite is catfish

The mtn man

D
From May until September, we eat them almost every Sunday. Filet, but leave skin on one side. Cover with home grown herbs and grill. Excellent table fare.
DO you need to scale the skin side for the grill?

I always cut the red meat out of my filets. Blackened Striper is my go to recipe, but my favorite is rockfish (Striper) chowder. Lots of recipes on YouTube.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Caught a striper yesterday and dem tacos sounds like what I’ll be eating for later on today

ryork

Just reiterating what has already been said, less fishy if you cut out the blood line and red meat, but if you like fish can leave it in. I've done it both ways and cooked them about anyway you can cook them.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If you need proof, go look in the cooking forum. This man has turned striper/hybrid into a world class dish many times!
They won't let me give more than 1 like so here you go (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)