Electric Bike

shdw633

I am thinking about getting an electric bike for my Illinois and Michigan hunting trips this year and am wondering if anyone has one or has recommendations regarding what you should be looking at or how large. I am getting a vehicle hunt permit in Illinois in order to be able to use it on public land up there but I want to make sure I have one that can handle those hills as well as being able to haul one of them big boys out should I be fortunate enough to get one. I am getting to the age where my knees can't handle the hills like they could when I was younger but I am not ready to throw the towel in just yet on going there.

shdw633

I've seen them with carts that attach to the back of the bike. They say it will haul a deer out of the woods with one. I was hoping someone had a Rambo or Quiet Kat or an off-brand that might give me more insight as to their usefulness.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Gotcha.. didn’t realize they were that strong. I see those quiet cat bikes advertised on the outdoor channel.

shdw633

M25 makes a good bike

I looked at the 750 and they seem pretty reasonable for the price but I have read that a mid drive is better than a rear hub drive when dealing with hilly terrain not sure the rear hub would handle the hills, me and a deer but that's the part I was hoping someone who uses one could enlighten me on. Would a rear hub drive handle all that without issues, or should I be looking for the more expensive mid drive bike. I am also wondering if anyone has maybe used a conversion kit. I see those on Ebay for around $200 to $300 not including the roughly $400 battery but if they are not that difficult to do I could possibly rig my current bike, have a mid drive and save about $2000 in the process. I am feeling though that the lack of anyone utilizing these down here is a sign, based on the number of responses so far, that I am getting played more by the media than the actual benefit of using one of these for hunting.

uturn

I’d be interested in learning more as well Triple C!!

Anything you’d be willing to share Sir!

Thanks

Triple C

shdw - From my experience, ebikes are great for traveling to and from stand on gently rolling terrain provided you have good interior roads/trails and it's relatively dry. They are much heavier and bulkier than current generation mountain bikes. Mine is a mid-drive 75W bike with 5 power settings. On setting 1, you're doing most of the work peddling. On setting 5, you just press the thumb throttle and hang on! They're fast! I've yet to run mine out of juice during a single day going to and from stands and riding around the farm. They are the ultimate in stealth - very quiet.

They are terrible in mud/muck. If it's raining or the roads/trails are wet, you will sling water n mud all over you. I've modified mine with a home-grown plastic fenders over both front and back tires but I still get spray on me if it's wet. I don't think they would be good on extremely steep hills unless you're willing to add a lot leg-power on peddle assist. My place is gently sloping with very good interior roads. This time of year they are a lot of fun to ride. Great for checking cameras and cruising for pigs.

If you're going off road on public land and it's wet you will be disappointed at best and injured at worst. Think of all of the bulk during November in cold weather - multiple layers of clothing, weapon, pack, climber, etc. Just not practical. The pull cart would just add to the bulk/difficulty of riding.

Bottom line...I think you would be disappointed hauling that thing and a cart to IL or MI in very hill terrain. I know I would and if I were going I would not take mine. I'm 63 and find mine very bulky when fully clothed in hunting gear and accessories. Great for riding to and from stand on good trails/roads. I wouldn't even think about heading through the woods on it.
ebike.jpg

I'd wait on the next generation of lithium battery trail bikes with much smaller wheels and really fat tires that are starting to come on the market.

shdw633

shdw - From my experience, ebikes are great for traveling to and from stand on gently rolling terrain provided you have good interior roads/trails and it's relatively dry. They are much heavier and bulkier than current generation mountain bikes. Mine is a mid-drive 75W bike with 5 power settings. On setting 1, you're doing most of the work peddling. On setting 5, you just press the thumb throttle and hang on! They're fast! I've yet to run mine out of juice during a single day going to and from stands and riding around the farm. They are the ultimate in stealth - very quiet.

They are terrible in mud/muck. If it's raining or the roads/trails are wet, you will sling water n mud all over you. I've modified mine with a home-grown plastic fenders over both front and back tires but I still get spray on me if it's wet. I don't think they would be good on extremely steep hills unless you're willing to add a lot leg-power on peddle assist. My place is gently sloping with very good interior roads. This time of year they are a lot of fun to ride. Great for checking cameras and cruising for pigs.

If you're going off road on public land and it's wet you will be disappointed at best and injured at worst. Think of all of the bulk during November in cold weather - multiple layers of clothing, weapon, pack, climber, etc. Just not practical. The pull cart would just add to the bulk/difficulty of riding.

Bottom line...I think you would be disappointed hauling that thing and a cart to IL or MI in very hill terrain. I know I would and if I were going I would not take mine. I'm 63 and find mine very bulky when fully clothed in hunting gear and accessories. Great for riding to and from stand on good trails/roads. I wouldn't even think about heading through the woods on it.
View attachment 969539

I'd wait on the next generation of lithium battery trail bikes with much smaller wheels and really fat tires that are starting to come on the market.

Thank you SO much for that information Triple C!!!! That is EXACTLY the information I was looking for right there, especially the part about wearing bulky cloths and riding in weather as last year it snowed on the third day and there was mud everywhere up and down those hills. You also have the same size and type of bike I was looking at, so even better!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information. I believe I will wait until the get a little farther ahead on their technology. Thanks again!!!!

davidhelmly

I've ridden a Quiet Kat 3 wheeler a few times and they are super fun to ride on flat to semi flat ground and crazy fast but almost useless if it is hilly and muddy, being front wheel drive is your enemy on hills because it just spins.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Just get this Toyota EV. Slap some all terrains and camo skin on it. 9k and does 60 kmh. lol
the_toyota_coms_is_a_single_seat_electric_car_that_toyota_se_big_140737.jpg

southerndraw

I have a rad ebike and I absolutely love mine, especially early season when it's hot and I don't want to work up a lather walking to my stand. I would ride it to one of our Kentucky properties about a mile and a half away from camp and right to my loc-on, lay it down in the grass and start climbing up to my stand. Plenty of power, decent speed and very easy to handle, went it's wet and sloppy out I just slow everything down a little and I'm good to go. I even used it for the Illinois shotgun season where I had heavier clothes on and didn't have a problem maneuvering around, just a little slower and more deliberate. The really nice thing about rad is, you can finance one with zero down and 150 bucks a month and after almost a year it's been a good investment for me.

Capt Quirk

When you said electric bike, I thought you were talking about a motorcycle. The guy who plays Daryl on Walking Dead, has a travel show where he just rides around and meets other bikers. One show, they were checking out an electric motorcycle. Incredibly fast and torquey. I bet it would be awesome with knobby tires in the woods.

shdw633

I have a rad ebike and I absolutely love mine, especially early season when it's hot and I don't want to work up a lather walking to my stand. I would ride it to one of our Kentucky properties about a mile and a half away from camp and right to my loc-on, lay it down in the grass and start climbing up to my stand. Plenty of power, decent speed and very easy to handle, went it's wet and sloppy out I just slow everything down a little and I'm good to go. I even used it for the Illinois shotgun season where I had heavier clothes on and didn't have a problem maneuvering around, just a little slower and more deliberate. The really nice thing about rad is, you can finance one with zero down and 150 bucks a month and after almost a year it's been a good investment for me.

How big is your bikes wattage? Is it a mid drive or hub drive?

southerndraw

It's 750w and it's hub drive, it's definitely a game changer early season. No boots on the ground equals less scent, Almost completely silent (I have literally rode right up on quite a few deer) and like I said, I'm not drenched in sweat by the time I get to my bow stand. Right now I'm looking into what public ground allows them and maybe plan some hunts out west in the near future...I love mine!

Timberman

Interesting thread. Anybody have experience with steep hills like say North Georgia mountains?

Kris87

I use my bike every single time I hunt just because of the advantages it gives me. Quick to the stand, no sweat, minimal noise, minimal scent, doesn't seem to spook deer as much as a walking human, etc...It's probably the coolest hunting item I own. For general rolling terrain, I don't find anywhere it can't go. I've used mine in Ohio, KY, and GA. I don't use mine to haul deer. If I've killed something, I can get my truck close to retrieve. The basket on the back is great for hauling in corn, minerals, trophy rocks, cameras, extra clothes, backpack, and just about anything you can think of. My bike is a M2S All Terrain 750. Its a hub drive and I have no issues with it. I have been in some deep mud, and I'm good to go with it. I don't find it unstable at all, but I am an avid mtn biker too. Having good legs is just a plus with it.

I dump mine within 20-30 yds of my tree most places I hunt. Last year I actually had a buck get by me, and I knew the only place he could be going. So I actually hopped out of the tree, and motored to the other side of my farm to get a shot on him. No way I could have done that on foot.

Snapchat-1258327463 (1).jpg