Electric charged fence gate

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
I am having a two plank and goat wire fence installed next week for a dog run. I will have a tubular 4x4 gate. I am installing myself an electric fence for dogs on the fence.
I will be connecting a underground cable from one side of the gate to the other so you can go in and out without getting shocked. I want to electrify the gate when not in use. I need to know how to do this, any help greatly appreciated.

bckwzlineman

run a wire from the electric fence to a single pole outdoor switch where you can energize and deenergize the metal gate, just flip the switch off when you want to go through. you will just have to find a way to insulate the metal gate from the post it hangs on, and also insulate the latch on the other post. other option is to find something else to use as posts on each side of the gate which is nonconductive of electricity.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
put a loop in the wire on one side and on the other tie in to the electric wire and run it across with a handle that has a hook on it. The handle sold at TSC or any hardware store has a spring in it to keep it tight.

karen936

This is what I would do...

I have the handle and I think I am going to get a part that looks like a loop on both sides with an insulator in the middle to tie into and disconnect from, wish me luck

karen936

and thank all of you very much

BriarPatch99

You can run an underground wire to electrify the fence on the other side of the gate ... But you can also place insulators on the gate at the same height as you fence .... run a strand across and connect to the fence on the hinge side with flexible insulated wire ... that way the only part that would not be electrified is the hinge gap and the latch gap ... You would not have to unhook a handle each time you went out the gate ... You would have to watch and not get in the hot wire yourself ....

We had multiple gates in this manner on our farm ... Worked very well other than someone not knowing the wire was "on" gates ... It didn't take them long to figure out what was going on ...

karen936

You can run an underground wire to electrify the fence on the other side of the gate ... But you can also place insulators on the gate at the same height as you fence .... run a strand across and connect to the fence on the hinge side with flexible insulated wire ... that way the only part that would not be electrified is the hinge gap and the latch gap ... You would not have to unhook a handle each time you went out the gate ... You would have to watch and not get in the hot wire yourself ....

We had multiple gates in this manner on our farm ... Worked very well other than someone not knowing the wire was "on" gates ... It didn't take them long to figure out what was going on ...
I love the idea of not having to unhook but can't see it in my head. Could you email me a sketch if I give my email to you? Thanks

karen936

so hinges on the right side of gate.
Hot wire coming from right side of fence across gate and
connect to left side of gate?

Jim Ammons

Inside of gate put an insulator on each corner of the gate. This will have a hot wire on top, each side and bottom of gate. Connect your flexible insulated wire on the hot line between the gate hinge going around your fence. If you are installing a hot wire at the bottom of the fence do the same thing. This will keep dogs from digging out and climbing over the top. Run your hot line from fence charger to a spot where you want to connect hot line to fence and you will have a complete circuit. Connect ground wire from charger to ground rod. Your fence and gate will be hot at all times. I have mine set up this way with no problems. Any questions pm your phone number.

karen936

found this.

BriarPatch99

Crude drawing ...
the green is the hot fence except for the section that is buried(it has to be insulated wire) ... The green dots are insulators on orang post ...also on the gate itself .... You only need to connect to the wire on the gate(which also has insulators)....use a flexible wire on the hinge side so when you open the gate the wire will bend .... You do not have to connect the other end of the gate as you will have underground wire tied to the fence on the other side of the gate

karen936

Crude drawing ...
the green is the hot fence except for the section that is buried(it has to be insulated wire) ... The green dots are insulators on orang post ...also on the gate itself .... You only need to connect to the wire on the gate(which also has insulators)....use a flexible wire on the hinge side so when you open the gate the wire will bend .... You do not have to connect the other end of the gate as you will have underground wire tied to the fence on the other side of the gate
Thank you so much my mind is fried from looking for a solution, that's just what I needed perfect.

BriarPatch99

You are welcome ... We had miles of electric fence on the farm ... We have tried many different solutions for various problems ... that gate solution worked the best of anything we tried ... plus the fence on the other(latch side) stays "hot" also ... unlike the handle gates( unless you bury an underground wire ....

Last edited: