Electric fence stopped working (not clicking)

riverbank

Did my normal routine this morning and noticed that the electric fence box ain't clicking. Its got power to it. I checked. But it's not working. Is there any way I can tear Into it and fix it , or is it just time to replace it? Its a zareba 100 mile charger. The good thing is I've got hogs behind the wire and once they learn to respect it you can't make them get within a foot of it. We sold a big boar a while back that was raised behind this fence and we had to man handle the heck out of him to make him go past the gate. He wouldn't even think about it. Even with donuts as a bribe. Haha.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Just asking the obvious. Did you check the fuses?

Haven't use a charger in 25 years but the ones we had had fuses. They may not now days.

riverbank

To be honest thats why I'm asking. I dont believe it has a fuse , but I'll find out. And the grounds are good. Heck ive got 3 six foot ground rods in.

greg_n_clayton

hmm....says they are fuseless !! the 100 mile one that comes up searching anyways !! that is strange seems to me.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I thought that they all had 1/2 amp fuses in them. If it doesn't have a fuse, then it has to have a circuit breaker of some type. It can't be unprotected.

I bet that thing will make a stud bull back up and pay attention.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
looks like there are some repair videos on Utube

riverbank

I'm about to go back up there and check it out. Pappy this charger is pretty stout for sure. A fella delivered some hogs out here one night. It was starting to rain so I was in a hurry and didn't unplug the fence. Them little hogs was only about 30 pounds so I decided to just grab them by the back legs and put them over the wire which is only about 2 and a half or 3 feet high. That hogs front legs or snout touched that wire, POP !!!! It made me drop the pig in my driveway and say a cuss word in front of that man and his kids. That hog hit the ground and didn't move. That guy had time to come around from the other side of the livestock trailer and grab that hog before it tried to get up. I said man that just about knocked my lights out. He said he saw sparks come off of that hog in several different places. Haha. My wife was about to die laughing. Needless to say I unplug the fence now when im up there messing around.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Asking the obvious again. YOu have walked the fence to make sure you haven't got a bad insulator or a broken line.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would walk the line real carefully. I think it will still click even if you have a broken line, but I am not 100 percent sure..

REDMOND1858

Mine did the same thing several times this year. Work one day stop the next. Did it 3 different times. Could not track it down or figure it out. Then an old timer around gave me his 2 cents. Told me that with all the drought that no matter how many grounds you have it can't ground without Moisture. Told me to let the water hose run on the ground rod for a few hours. Never heard of this or even thought about it and I was doubtful it was gonna work. Sure enough, started doing this every few days and haven't had any problem since.

May not fix your problem, but worth a shot for a few nickels worth of H2O.

riverbank

It will still click even with a line completely against a metal t-post. But I walked it anyway. Everything is okay. I took it off the post , brought it down to the house and plugged it in. Still won't click. If there's a fuse in it I have to take the box apart to get to it. And wouldn't you know it, the holes are a couple of inches deep , get narrower inside so that my extension won't fit, and even if it did the screw has a dang Chinese head on it that I don't have.....on top of it all.....it's Sunday.....nobody is open.

riverbank

I went and scratched out a place that will hold water with my foot around each ground rod, filled in the low places with a couple inches of water, plugged in the fence and still nothing. That should have been enough to make it click if being dry was the problem right?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we have had over 4inches of rain this week. It ain't that it is dry.

riverbank

That's what I thought to. The rods are in a low spot to that's still holding water. Oh well. Anybody got one for sale? Haha.