Elk and Antelope caliber

Torre87

Good afternoon everyone.

I am looking into a new rifle for hunting out west. I am in between the .270 and .308. After researching, I am now leading more toward the .270 due to the flatness and speed.

My question is, will a .270 be a good idea for elk? I know it is plenty for the antelope. I am wanting to see what the general consensus is on these two calibers and which you would pick.

Uptonongood

You can certainly kill an elk with a .270 but a .30 caliber is much better suited to that big animal.

roperdoc

Just between your two choices, I would probably take the 270.This is based on the likelihood of a longer shot on antelope where the flatter trajectory is an asset. The only real advantage of the 308 is a slighter lighter carry weight.

Free opinion:
I think better choices for both animals might be a 280 rem, or 30-06. Same action size as the 270, trajectories flat enough for reasonable ranges and a little more energy for tougher game such as elk. Reduced recoil loads for the 30-06 bring it in line with 308 recoil and performance if this is an issue.

7Mag Hunter

My buddy lives in the Columbia River Valley in Oregon and
has killed 30+ Elk and BlackTail Deer with his 270.....

crucible02

I am not even close to being an expert but here are my thoughts:

I shoot a .270 and I have an elk hunt planned for 2018. I have done a lot of research and you would be surprised how many locals out west have used a .270 all of their lives for elk. There is a reason it earned the title, "King of the West." Read up on Jack O'Connor. I don't think you will be disappointed with a .270.

The biggest deal (such is the case with any caliber) is shot placement, quality of ammunition, and understanding your own limitations. For my hunt, I will be using Federal Premium Nosler Partitions and will limit my shots to around 300 yards. This is the advice I have received from western elk hunters.

175rltw

BANNED
Between the two just pick whichever actual rifle you like better. If you like that particular 308 mor than that particular 270 or the other way around there’s no meaningful on the ground or on game difference . They are fine. Just pick the one you prefer.

Rich Kaminski

The 270 is a small caliber and an elk is a large animal. So unless you make a heart or neck spine shot you have no idea how far the elk will travel and if he is in thick woods you may never find him. A better choice would be a larger bullet zeroed in at 200 yards and knowing the bullet drop out to 400yards based on that 200 yard zero. I regularly shoot a 300 win mag and never have to track anything because they are DRT.

lonewolf247

I'm not an elk hunter, so I can just speculate and make a recommendation. If you were strictly going for a rifle for antelope, I'd say by all means choose the .270 for the flatter trajectory. I'm sure it would double as the elk rifle ok, but if strictly going for an elk rifle, I would want a .30 caliber that would perform well with 180 grain bullets.

If it were me, I would get a 30-06, because of better bullet selection and capability to perform better with heavier bullets. No matter which caliber you choose, to make the best match for each game, I would think two different bullet selections and construction would be best to match the two different size game animals. The 30-06 would perform well with different grain bullets. One mindset is to be lighter, with flatter trajectory for antelope, and the 150 grain would do well with that. Other folks think heavier bullets would buck the wind better. Either way, the 30-06 would be right at home. As far as the elk, I think 180 grain nosler partition would do the trick.

For hunting out west, where longer shots might be the case, I would sight in for MPBR for your given bullet used. That way you can shoot the maximum distance, without any compensation for trajectory.

HunterJoe24

Get a 7mm. All the flat shooting qualities of a .270, and you can comfortably shoot anything in North America except maybe brown bears and grizzlies. You could do it, but it'd be risky

Torre87

Get a 7mm. All the flat shooting qualities of a .270, and you can comfortably shoot anything in North America except maybe brown bears and grizzlies. You could do it, but it'd be risky

When you are talking about a 7mm, are you referring to the Magnum or 7mm-08? wouldn't the 7mm Mag be a bit much for antelope?

Last edited:

Barebowyer

There's really no such thing as "too much" for an intended species really unless referring to small game. A little bit bigger hole through the ribs is really no big deal...just my .02. Shoot what you are most comfortable/confident with.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
30-06
150 grain bullets for antelope.
180 grain for Elk.

The .270 will work. Shot placement will be a little more important when it comes to the elk though.

HunterJoe24

When you are talking about a 7mm, are you referring to the Magnum or 7mm-08? wouldn't the 7mm Mag be a bit much for antelope?

Yeah the 7mm mag. And no it won't. They make some 139g bullets that are designed just for those type of animals. Flat shooting and fast, which is what your looking for antelope. And the the 175g bullets wiull work for just about anything else, especially the partition. In my opinion, if I had one gun to hunt North America with it would either be a 7mm or a .338

Reactions: Dub

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
300 Win Mag. I just killed an elk a couple of weeks ago and it dropped on the spot, but did not pass through. Zeroed at 200 yards, it only drops 5.9 inches at 300, so it's practically point and shoot from 0 to 300 yards on an elk-sized critter. That's a flatter trajectory than a 270 coupled with a heavier bullet.

Darkhorse

For hunting the west I started with a 7mm Magnum and I really had no complaints. I also hunted deer with it for 10 years or so.
But now when I go west I carry a .300 Win. Mag., the last elk I shot was at a measured 425 yards and the bullet went through both shoulders and part of the spine and buried in the dirt on the other side. Larger frontal area, heavier bullets at the same velocity as the 7 mag. Just more of the good stuff.
I have carried both the 7 and .300 when hunting clearcuts and powerlines in Georgia, but generally I hunt deer with deer calibers, my opinion, such as the .308.
I don't really care what hunters who live in the west might use, such as the .270, and who can hunt elk most any year. When I put down the dollars for the rare elk hunt I'm gonna carry a more capable rifle.
Both the .308 and the .270 might be excellent deer or antelope rifles but I wouldn't use either for elk. And I've been there and done that.

Reactions: Dub

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I bought the 7mm mag in my avatar as my 18th birthday present many decades ago with plans to go on a mule deer/antelope hunt when I "grew up" and possibly elk. Life happened and it hasn't (and probably won't) happened but Ive still got the gun. Sweet shooter. will drop a deer like the Hammer of Thor. i would have no hesitation shooting an elk with the right loads at a reasonable to me distance.

NMH5050

Yes, a 270 will work but if you are making the commitment to go out there and buying a new rifle you should go with the 300WM. ELK are tough critters and the 300WM is perfect for them. I would also recommend shooting a copper load as well. I shoot 180gr barnes out of my 300WM for them every year and it works perfect. Speed Goats are fairly easy to take down with any whitetail caliber. Also buy a powerful scope and practice at 200-350 yards. Good Luck!

TAG

Yes, a 270 will work but if you are making the commitment to go out there and buying a new rifle you should go with the 300WM. ELK are tough critters and the 300WM is perfect for them. I would also recommend shooting a copper load as well. I shoot 180gr barnes out of my 300WM for them every year and it works perfect. Speed Goats are fairly easy to take down with any whitetail caliber. Also buy a powerful scope and practice at 200-350 yards. Good Luck!

Hard to beat the 300 WSM great caliber.