Encore .50 Range Report

Went out yesterday with some buds (Thanks Again for the invite & insight guys!) to see how the Encore shot.

I ended up going with a Talley "1pc" mount & a Millett Buck Gold 3-9x44 sitting on top. Started with 100gr BH209, Fed 209A primers, & 250gr TC Shockwave... first shot @50yds was 12"+ low & 3"-4" right. After a progression of adjustments, it was dancing around the 2" stickon dot. Last couple shots (including a 110gr load) were dead on. Still have a few loads left, so I may try to wring it out @100yds in the next few weeks.

According to one bud, the Shockwave/sabot combo (yellow tips & sabot) took too much pressure to load (too tight for my barrel?). I've read that thinner sabots are sometimes the answer... anyone else seen/had this issue? If so, what'd you end up using?

chicken cow

Banned
Tight is good

I have a T/C firehawk, bout 15 yrs old, Its only got like a 24" barrels from the #11 cap. I can shoot 2-2 1/2 " groups @ 100 yrds and love it. I shoot 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, works good for me, but as far as the bullets, you want them to fit tight in your barrel, tighter the better, makes them more accurate, its like those powerbelt bullets load great but its like they rattle down the barrel when shot. I know it stinks loading bullets that you have got to strain your guts out at the range, but when the big boy walks out @ 115 yrds you want something you feel comfortable with, this one walked out this past dec. 250 shockwave right through the heart @ 115 yrds.

Attachments

• IMG_0339 (3).jpg
    IMG_0339 (3).jpg
    178 KB · Views: 380

creation's_cause

Went out yesterday with some buds (Thanks Again for the invite & insight guys!) to see how the Encore shot.

I ended up going with a Talley "1pc" mount & a Millett Buck Gold 3-9x44 sitting on top. Started with 100gr BH209, Fed 209A primers, & 250gr TC Shockwave... first shot @50yds was 12"+ low & 3"-4" right. After a progression of adjustments, it was dancing around the 2" stickon dot. Last couple shots (including a 110gr load) were dead on. Still have a few loads left, so I may try to wring it out @100yds in the next few weeks.

According to one bud, the Shockwave/sabot combo (yellow tips & sabot) took too much pressure to load (too tight for my barrel?). I've read that thinner sabots are sometimes the answer... anyone else seen/had this issue? If so, what'd you end up using?

CD--I have had excellent (initial) results with 105grns of BH209 and 300grn Hornady SSTs(red polymer tipped bullet & red sabot), ignited by Winchester 209 primers...all barrels are different of course, but I shot these out of a TC Triumph, one piece Dead Nuts base & rings, Nikon Omega 3X9 BDC....of course I am looking forward to shooting it much more before next season, but at 100yds it shows real promise after two differnet shooting sessions...see Today's Range work with BH209 post (early Jan) for pictures...deployed right now so will be shooting more when I get back home in April....will post more results then--good or bad.

creation's_cause

I have a T/C firehawk, bout 15 yrs old, Its only got like a 24" barrels from the #11 cap. I can shoot 2-2 1/2 " groups @ 100 yrds and love it. I shoot 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, works good for me, but as far as the bullets, you want them to fit tight in your barrel, tighter the better, makes them more accurate, its like those powerbelt bullets load great but its like they rattle down the barrel when shot. I know it stinks loading bullets that you have got to strain your guts out at the range, but when the big boy walks out @ 115 yrds you want something you feel comfortable with, this one walked out this past dec. 250 shockwave right through the heart @ 115 yrds.

Can't argue with your results, (wouldn't anyhow)...beautiful buck and I really like the wood and stainless (or nickle) finish together on your TC...great looking rig especially in the snow beside your trophy....I have never had to wrench my guts out with a load?? Not sure it needs to fit that tight to be real accurate?? Have you shot any other powder projectile combos that have performed well?? I really like the Hornady SSTs for accuracy? Ever shot them?

I wouldn't exactly call it straining... just tight. They went past the "QL-thing" and seated on the rifling well, with a few tough spots down the bore.

I'd been instructed NOT put my hand/fingers/thumb on TOP of the rod (in case it flashed, though I waited 5-10 minutes between loading each shot) and *THAT* caused most of the issues. It was warm, hands a bit sweaty, & a bit oily too (also shot a couple EBRs that had a few drips) and gripping the last 6" of the rod without pushing it from the top was hard. Honestly, I realize the danger in putting my hand over the rod to assist with pushing down, BUT... if it did go off, I fail to see how that will change much! Seems the rod (with a 250gr bullet pushing it out!) would be the least of my worries :huh:

chicken cow

Banned
:banana:Hornady SST work great also, I just got away from the sabot and went to powerelts and did not like em, if you read the reveiws of powerbelt there is one good comment for every 20 bad ones. I would say any sabot would shoot better than a powerbelt out of anygun. when I went to Iowa and was w/ an outfitter 6 other guys in camp had the new t/c prohunter, and Ive always wanted one also, but I love this gun and I cant shoot to 200yrds But I didnt see a need for 2 muzzleloaders

chicken cow

Banned
I wouldn't exactly call it straining... just tight. They went past the "QL-thing" and seated on the rifling well, with a few tough spots down the bore.

I'd been instructed NOT put my hand/fingers/thumb on TOP of the rod (in case it flashed, though I waited 5-10 minutes between loading each shot) and *THAT* caused most of the issues. It was warm, hands a bit sweaty, & a bit oily too (also shot a couple EBRs that had a few drips) and gripping the last 6" of the rod without pushing it from the top was hard. Honestly, I realize the danger in putting my hand over the rod to assist with pushing down, BUT... if it did go off, I fail to see how that will change much! Seems the rod (with a 250gr bullet pushing it out!) would be the least of my worries :huh:

Ive spent hours at the range and you are def. right to wait for the barrel to cool down, and swab it w/ a patch between shots, cuz when you hunt it will prob be w/ a clean cold barrel and every gun shoots different when the barrel is warm. I know your waiting to load again but I have never had that happen, when I loaded it again. If you wait for the barrel to cool for 10 mins and the colder it is outside the better, swab the barrel between shots, You will be very pleased w/ you accuracy. I have read that most people are most accurate w/ 90-110grns of powder opposed to loading the full 150, But I dont know cuz mine is older and only shoots 100grains:huh:...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

aha...I was wondering why the bullet was tight going down. I cant imagine trying to load a bullet with a sabot without putting my hand on the end of the ram rod. although you may lose a hand on the next outing...ok so I hope not:D...go ahead and use the end of the rod! fact is you should get a T handle or palm saver and use that when at the range.

congrats on getting comfy with the setup. slip out to 100 and fine tune.

and swab it w/ a patch between shots,

I have read that most people are most accurate w/ 90-110grns of powder opposed to loading the full 150, But I dont know cuz mine is older and only shoots 100grains:huh:...

with the powder he is shooting...BH209...he should not swab between shots. but you are very correct to wait on barrel cool down as long as you can stand it. I do suggest popping off a couple of primers PRIOR to loading the first time, whether at the range or in the field.

also about the 150 grains...when I was still shooting 777 my encore slung lead all over the place with 150, but drop down to 100 and it shot fine. gary's omega shoots 150 and 100 almost identical.

go figure????

aha...I was wondering why the bullet was tight going down. I cant imagine trying to load a bullet with a sabot without putting my hand on the end of the ram rod. although you may lose a hand on the next outing...ok so I hope not:D...go ahead and use the end of the rod! fact is you should get a T handle or palm saver and use that when at the range.

Now we're getting somewhere!

From what I can tell, the sabot rounds loaded noticeably harder than the single lead Hornady 3xxgr I tried (last round with same 100gr BH209 load). Has it been your experience the sabots take more "umph" to get loaded?

The fellow instructing me is a long time conventional ML shooter (but also has the twin of my Encore) and is very knowledgeable. However, he's "very partial" to earlier BP substitutes/lead rounds and admittedly has NOT run any BH209 & dislikes sabots in general, so he may be a bit jaded ;) ). Also, he's a member of the NSSA & does a LOT of rapidfire ML competitions, so he's probably seen his share of flares and premature ignitions too...

I was gonna ask him about the t-handles, etc, but figured that'd incite a(nother) rap across the knuckles :D, though I can't see an industry already maligned from "covering their liability arses" offering a product that increased risks...

congrats on getting comfy with the setup. slip out to 100 and fine tune.

It was great, except for the "shoulder fatigue" (found when shooting off a shorter table, I tend to lean forward, rolling the butt towards the top of my shoulder, rather than the front :O ). Hopefully, I'll get a chance in the next couple weeks to see what the current dope does at 100yds

Capt Gary

My TC Encore .50 shoots fantastic with 110 BH209 and the Hornady 300gr SST. Does equally well with the Barnes 290 bullet.

Took a nice buck at 188 yards, ranged, this past season with the Hornady and had a complete pass through. Deer stepped over into the woods and died. Maybe 10 yards at most.

Great guns, really fun to shoot.