Escape to the Georgia Coast - Any thoughts?

The Rodney

So I've been talking to my boss (wife) and she is great with me taking a four day pass to solo camp/explore/decompress. Wanting to hit the coast. Truck, tent, backpack, mountain bike, fishn' pole. I want to avoid technology and crowds. I took a few days in college and camped on Cumberland, it was amazing but I was 22 and in shape. Hiked to the very north tip from the ferry. Anyhow, I love seeing beautiful things and want to see the ocean.

Where would you visit to enjoy nature?
Where might you camp?
Sapelo or Cumberland?
Can you bike to any camping sites or bike around the various islands?
Camp on Jeckyl?

I'd like to exercise, relax, and stare at the water. Sip a cold one in the evening and sleep. I have funds for a room if I need one. Input appreciated!

Oldstick

But we have been to some of the state park campgrounds down there, Skidaway, Ft. McAllister, and Crooked River. Even though they might be filled up, they are all peaceful locations with some nice roomy sites spaced out. Maybe some tent only sites available too.

Way too jumbled up together at Jekyl though, IMO.

basshappy

BANNED
@The Rodney do you have a vehicle you will stay in (like a van) or need to sleep outside of vehicle?

There are loads of places to explore and if you can do it Tues-Thur you will see less folk than Fri-Mon.. it is Summer time after all.

Harris Neck is one place you might consider exploring. Plants, animals, and land. Right now some of the water is gone and the insects are flourishing, but we saw armadillo, deer, gators and birds all over just the other day.

On SSI you could put your yak in at Village Creek and explore, paying attention to the tides is key. Or incoming tide put in at Goulds and ride it into the backwater areas. The flounder fishing was good on Monday at Jekyll.

I have found early morning twilight dawn until 930 AM avoids most people in the tourist areas.

WaltL1

Ft. McAllister was one of my favorites when we were camping. Great kayaking area, lots to do and see.
The raccoons there are brave little suckers! They grab a loaf of bread and fix themselves a sandwich while you are sitting there :bounce:
Nice campground though. We enjoyed it.

Oldstick

The raccoons there are brave little suckers! They grab a loaf of bread and fix themselves a sandwich while you are sitting there :bounce:
Nice campground though. We enjoyed it.
Yep, they started raiding our table after dark with us sitting less than 10 ft away around the fire. Then they proceeded directly to one of the unused water spigots that they knew had a dripping leak and licked their fill of water.

Oldstick

They wouldn't even leave the table until someone walked over clapping their hands and shooing them. Just like pet cats are prone to do. :D

Big7

The Oracle
Don't go to Tybee when the African flash mobs are there.

Latest posts