Ethanol in generator

TurkeyH90

Unfortunately I have run out of my ethanol free fuel supply and am having to run 93 octane in my generator. I'm sure it will probly sit for awhile once I get power back. What is a good additive to combat the effects of ethanol?

Jim Baker

Staff member
I run this all my power equipment, it’s cut down on the issues sense ethanol showed up in my opinion.

https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-official-video-what-does-a-fuel-stabilizer-actually-do/

X2 on the Seafoam. Best thing is to drain the ethanol gas and run the carb dry. Over time the ethanol gas will go bad as you probably know. Any left in the carb will gum up the works.

Also if the Gen fuel tank is metal you are looking at rust in the fuel tank. which is another reason to drain the ethanol.

Crank them every month with a power drain plugged in. I use my air compressor. Nothing worse than needing it and it not firing off.

Unfortunately I have run out of my ethanol free fuel supply and am having to run 93 octane in my generator. I'm sure it will probly sit for awhile once I get power back. What is a good additive to combat the effects of ethanol?

I would remove as much of the ethanol gas as possible, then crank it up and let it burn the rest till it cuts off. I'm also a true believer in Seafoam and Stabil.

Backlasher82

I used Sta-bil ethanol treatment before I had access to ethanol-free gas and had good results-it's the blue Sta-bil, not the regular red fuel stabilizer. Pure-gas.org lists ethanol-free stations, also check with any marinas around as most carry real gas.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Heck, Walmart gas stations in the Augusta area also sell Non-Ethanol fuel in their pumps as well. It obviously cost more and it is from the "BLUE Screen" selector on the pump and the Non-Ethanol nozzle is on the left side of the screen on the pump with the diesel nozzle being on the FAR left end in the #1 position and the non-ethanol NOZZLE is in the #2 position. I bought another 5 gallons Wednesday morning and it cost $3.00 per gallon. That way, I have about 20 gallons available if needed and I ALWAYS USE STA-BIL IN THE STORED GASOLINE AND I ALSO USE SEAFOAM MIXED IN IT TOO BEFORE I PUT IT INTO MY GENERATOR!!!

I ONLY use the Non-Ethanol fuel for my lawnmower, weedeater, chainsaw and of course my generator when it is needed.

95g atl

I would drain it from the carb at minimum.
Turn off the fuel supply / shut off valve. Run the engine until it dies. Most carbs will also have a small screw on the fuel bowl where you can drain the gas.

Even running a fuel stabilizer/treatment, I still had issues if I didn't drain the gas from the carb fuel bowel.

I hate ethanol w/carbs, period.

I used Sta-bil ethanol treatment before I had access to ethanol-free gas and had good results-it's the blue Sta-bil, not the regular red fuel stabilizer. Pure-gas.org lists ethanol-free stations, also check with any marinas around as most carry real gas.
Sta- bil is junk. I’ve used marine Sta-bil,and had to have my carbs rebuilt. Startron is the best on the market. Buy it at Walmart in the boating section.