Ethical or not?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I fished for king salmon in Alaska and was catching hump backs every few casts. My buddy told me to stack the hump backs to run through the grinder and then freeze them for the dogs. We caught three kings that day and dozens of hump backs.

I’d feed the dogs if that’s your choice. I’d say your family is missing out on some good eats at the price of dog food these days. No one else's business what you do with it but you opened this bag of worms.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just cant imagine killing 12 deer a year, but I live in a State, where it is one Buck and one doe. What other people do with their legally killed deer is none of my business.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Years ago I counted up all the check in hunts for deer and added the 12 allowed and came up with the number 55.:biggestshoot:
Not counting the unlimited shoot em all hunts. I’m sure my numbers were way off.
Non the less 12 deer is nothin compared to what you really can get legally if you try.

chase870

Possum Sox
My dog loves smoked deer bones and is real fond of all cuts of deer meat. I think she likes it better than beef

shdw633

I guess my conflict comes with how upset we get at coyotes eating the deer and yet we are having a discussion about hunters killing the deer and feeding it to the dogs. No one can stop you doing what you want to do, I use to give my dog some once in a while but couldn't just kill a deer to feed her. It obviously must bother you in some regards or you wouldn't be on here looking for support in your decision. Regardless of what you decide it's on you and always will be....I just wouldn't go around telling others you're doing it, they might not be as supportive as this board.

watermedic

After I stock my freezer, I use the hearts, liver, kidneys and trimmings to make supplemental dog food. I grind up the innards and trimmings.

I cook rice, vegetables and then add the grinds and cook it till the rice is done.

I put it into two pound bags and freeze it.

They like it and its good for them.

baddave

i haven't even read the others cause it don't matter . mine eats plenty of venison . we have a theory .. food w/ meat as 1st ingredient is real expensive so we just buy the walmart stuff and add our own meat and a lot is venison.. our dog is important to us ..

Bigtimber

I imagine that dog food you been buying has a lot of animal products in it. Can't see it being much different. You kill the deer and make some dog food or buy the chicken/beef/ filler processed dog food already made for you.

Slewfoot

Great idea if you like to get in some more hunting. We have eaten less and less venison over the past couple of years and due to such, I didn’t squeeze the trigger this year, so this really makes sense to me.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve always fed the trimmings to mine and any leftovers from the table. Where I hunt has a decent deer population, but there are many hunters around me also. Our self imposed limit is 4 a year, and that’s me trying to make sure my boys have a good chance of killing one every year. We use all of the 4 between seasons.
I’m not sure I would kill one specifically for my dog, but it doesn’t bother me that you would.

shdw633

All of you that are saying it's ok, I don't want to see a single one of you complaining this season you ain't seeing no deer.

baddave

i can't understand where one would say it's not ok to feed the dog deer .. what kind of meat is ok??...been doing it for years and will continue .. i probably see close to 100 deer in a season ..my wife and i can eat maybe 3.. dog will get at least 1

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wife and I process our own deer some and after we wrap our clean burger we run all the scraps, tendons, fat, shanks, siver skin, and whatever else wont mess up the grinder. We wrap that in poundish packs and supplement meals for our dogs.
I was also fortunate to get a big ol rut buck a few years back. We brought him to processor and had burger done. We ate some of him but he did not eat as well as the other deer that my son and wife killed and put in the freezer that year so we'd mix in a pound of that old buck in the dogs food a couple times a week that year.
I think nothing wrong of it if you are responsible with the deer herd that you have in your huntin area.
I think my dogs are part of the family and they should eat goof too. The parts of the deer that we don't want our dogs are THRILLED to get.
I like boneless fish fillets so when I fillet fish I even save the rib cut outs for our 3 cats. I don't want to eat it...cats think they've gone to heaven!

Latest posts