Evenrude is gone

Nimrod71

The real Evinrude has been gone for a long time. OMC had Johnson and Evinrude and when it went Bankrupt they sold off everything. BRP bought only the name and did not continue the old OMC lines. And oil injection system problem bankrupted OMC. The old OMC motors were really good. The second outboard I owned was a 9.9 Evinrude. The first outboard I ever ran was a 9.5 Evinrude. The largest outboard I ever owned was a 235 h.p. Evinrude. I had it on a 20 ft. Alison Craft with Hot Foot and Hyd. jackplate and chopper prop. The best speed was 85 m.p.h. I miss OMC.

JROESEL

I’ve got two 1970’s evinrudes that will fire up and run tonight if I needed them too, it’s amazing that for decades, Outboards have been running with mixing the fuel properly, now there’s automatic oilers and a lot of motors having issues, I disconnect all of my auto oilers and oil it the old fashion Way

ryanh487

I've got an old 8 hp Johnson that nobody wants to fix for me. None of the boat mechanics around here want to work on evinrude or Johnson motors, I'm sure that's not helping the brand.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Those late 90's FIcht motors are nothing but a pile of junk and the only reliable thing about them is they will wind up in the scrap yard

Kdog

I've got an old 8 hp Johnson that nobody wants to fix for me. None of the boat mechanics around here want to work on evinrude or Johnson motors, I'm sure that's not helping the brand.

Dekalb Marine will work on it for you.

TomC

Had a 200 Etec. Bought it new shortly after they hit the market. It was a MIGHTY FINE engine that cost me basically nothing to maintain, practically no maintenance, fired up like a champ even in the dead of winter, and NEVER once let me down. Had planned on buying another in the next year or two. No interest in joining the Mercury rowing team so guess a Yamaha or Suzuki it shall be!

Lilly001

When I was running my police agencies marine unit we bought warranty.
Except for Honda we always had more$ in warranty repair than the purchase price of the motors.
But we ran the #### out of our motors. Big boats run hard = lots of repairs.

mlbowfin

Those late 90's FIcht motors are nothing but a pile of junk and the only reliable thing about them is they will wind up in the scrap yard
I have a 1999 Fitch ocean runner 115hp, the only thing I've had to replace is the high pressure pump last year. not bad for 20 years of HARD service.

Nimrod71

The Fitch system was what did them end. I too am looking at a new 25 to replace a 99 Merc. The Merc was O K when new but over time I have spent more on repairs than the thing cost. I don't trust it any longer. The last two times I used it the Lord let me get back to the boat ramp. Man has the price changed on 25's. I can't make my mind up on either a Yamaha or a Tohatsu. I may even try a 30.

TomC

I may be wrong but I think the smaller Mercury engines are actually just rebranded Tohatsu. Tohatsu's seem to be really good smaller engines.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Tohatsu for smaller engines. Yamaha or Suzuki for any motor you want. Those Japanese boys got it together when it comes to outboards. Seen too many mercs sling something out the side. Old Johnsons and rudes are good. Had a 2004 Johnson 115 4 stroke (johnzuki). Solid. Had a 2014 25 e tec. Not impressed. The 10 yr warranty was about all it was good for, and it got used multiple times. Now it's a 25 2 smoke Yamaha and a 115 4 stroke Suzuki in the stable. Turn key..... Go fish

bilgerat

Senior
I have a 98 90hp johnson 2stroke on my center console, great running engine but it has a drinking problem, it loves to drink the fuel

Nimrod71

I bought a new Nissan 25 in 1985, they were made by Tohatsu, this was the first year they came to our part of Georgia. I ran that motor for ten years. I sold it to a Billy and he is still running it. The only thing he has done in change water pumps, plugs and foot oil. He did add electric start. I bought a new 1652 SeaArk in 1999 with a 40 Nissan, I still have it. The only thing I have done to it is clean the carbs twice, my fault for not running gas out, replace water pumps and foot oil. Tohatsu's are great motors. I have had several Merc's from 9,9 to 150 and I don't plan on buying another one. As posted above the New small Merc's are made by Tohatsu.