Excessive condensate buildup on pvc drain pipe in attic furnace

westcobbdog

Newer Lennox furnace, located in walk out unfinished attic area over my neighbors dining room.
The condensate drain pipe in question is elevated about 3 ft high coming out of the cooling tower area of the furnace. The pipe has a 2 ft section of what looks like excessive moisture dripping onto the floor joists and attic insulation with her dining room ceiling directly below. It’s left a water mark on her ceiling a few weeks ago.
Is this normal? Installer says it’s normal but to wrap the dripping condensate line. I have never seen one “sweat” like this one. To paint a picture there are big drops about every inch of this 2 ft section.
Thanks in advance.

westcobbdog

Art it is the condensate drain from the coils.
NYO thanks for your input.
Just trying to figure out why it is sweating excessively. I have looked at maybe thousands of furnaces in houses and never seen one like this. Even saw a snake slither out of one recently but never this much moisture from regular use.

Cmp1

BANNED
Newer Lennox furnace, located in walk out unfinished attic area over my neighbors dining room.
The condensate drain pipe in question is elevated about 3 ft high coming out of the cooling tower area of the furnace. The pipe has a 2 ft section of what looks like excessive moisture dripping onto the floor joists and attic insulation with her dining room ceiling directly below. It’s left a water mark on her ceiling a few weeks ago.
Is this normal? Installer says it’s normal but to wrap the dripping condensate line. I have never seen one “sweat” like this one. To paint a picture there are big drops about every inch of this 2 ft section.
Thanks in advance.

You may want to check the level of the furnace, should be slightly tilted towards the drain pan outlet,,,,

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Flush the line. Temp inversion is what causes condensation.There is probably something stopping the flo
Art it is the condensate drain from the coils.
NYO thanks for your input.
Just trying to figure out why it is sweating excessively. I have looked at maybe thousands of furnaces in houses and never seen one like this. Even saw a snake slither out of one recently but never this much moisture from regular use.
PM sent

walkinboss01

I put a little bleach in mine to clean it out.

Nuttin Better

Sounds to me like the condensate drain line is not installed properly. The drain line may not have enough slope to it towards the discharge. Also the drain will not work if it is not vented. I see new HVAC systems installed everyday without a vent on the drain line and with it being as hot as it is right now they all have condensation from holding cold water inside the pipe.

1gr8bldr

Temperature differences cause excessive condensation. Insulate the pipe and it will go away. Run all duct lines in the attic as level as possible as well. I thought I was being smart and ran mine overhead, creating an open attic. Big mistake, at some point they have to turn downward. Level duct builds condensation, but rarely drips. But sloped ducts cause the condensation to run, and build, and then it can cause damage at the ceiling level