Extended deer season status?

Core Lokt

I'm pretty sure Alabama added time to their season because SE bama was missing their rut. They didn't make zones, they added it for all of the state.

Either way SW Ga needs to go later to be able to hunt the rut. We have witnessed the runt mainly either the week of Christmas or the wee of new year for the last 15 years. This year those weeks were slow for all clubs around. Last day of season the chasing exploded and you can't hunt now...

buckpasser

I guess the rut map does seem to capture the “peak of the rut” almost everywhere, but it also implies the secondary chasing and breeding would be very active after season closes in several counties (which is confirmed by many). I wish there was a way for those folks to get the full experience of the deer season most of get. I can’t think of any upside to it for them. Maybe really good summer patten hunting in October?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
^^^^ I think your spot on. Up here we have a short window on summer patterns if any no matter how hot it is. Once we hit the woods the deer seem to know it quickly. One or two good hunts and then deer change patterns if your not careful.

GameMgr270

We always get push back on this. Lots of grumbling and such. I just emailed in my case for an extension anyways. It’s amazing that two bordering states can figure out that the more zones you have, the more you can tailor the regs to better meet the needs of a diverse wildlife population. Gadsen County Florida borders Ga and their season doesnt end until Feb 17. Alabama ends Feb 10. I like hunting in beautiful SW Georgia. How about some hunting dates to match the wildlife down here?
SW Decatur rut just really begins at New Years, runs the month of January into Feb. Many years, I have scrapes into April and spotted fawns in December. If I could pick a time to go, the best time for me would be second week of January right on til first week in Feb. with spill over action couple weeks either side. I’d be fine with an end date of Feb 1 and a later start to offset it so whiners cant complain we got a longer season.
As a side bar, QDMA has an interesting read on why the rut down here and in AL and FL is this late. They think it might have to do with the repopulation efforts of years past but I’m not sold on that being the entire reason just yet. Would love to see more research done on it.

Big7

The Oracle
http://forum.gon.com/threads/new-georgia-rut-map.817370/page-2#post-8938374

Just go HERE:

I PUT THIS UP A FEW TIMES OVER THE
YEARS AND ASKED FOR IT TO BE A "STICKY"

EASIER TO LOOK AT ON A PUTER BUT YOU
CAN MANAGE ON A PHONE.

GO DOWN TO THE GA MAP ALL THE WAY
AT THE BOTTOM.

I HAVE POSTED MY FINDINGS
IN THE COUNTIES I HUNT IN.

OTHERS CHIMED IN AND SAID IT
WAS DEAD ON IN THEIR COUNTIES
TOO.

IT IS SUPER ACCURATE YOU CAN
PLAN YOUR VACATION BY IT!

I WISH I COULD FIND MY ORIGINAL
POST BUT I CAN'T.

THE BOTTOM OF THE POST
LINKED HERE IS THE SAME
ONE I POSTED A FEW TIMES.

BET THE FARM. THIS IS WHAT
YOU WANT TO GO BY.

TRUST ME ON THAT !

earlyspur

I live in Bainbridge and can concur with the January rut there however I have lived in and hunted in Early County for 25 years. Scouted cotton and been involved through work or friends with the Ag industry in Early County as well. There is a secondary rut there in January but it is limited. 75% of the fawns can be seen in fields feeding with does by the end of July or first week of August which 200 day gestation and a couple of weeks to get on their feet and moving with mom would mean conception sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That even goes for the Hilton area as previously mentioned in another post. The main reason folks see an uptick in bucks at the end of the season is because the stay married to food source/field edge/PM only styles and they usually hit those heavily as the rut declines for two reasons. One, they are run down and need to consume food quickly as temps drop and testosterone levels fall and two, the last few does that didn't take first go or were too young to come in will congregate there and they can kill 2 birds with one stone as opposed to searching doe bedding areas in thicker timber earlier in rut. So to those wanting more time in Early County, I say be in the woods from Thanksgiving until about the 20th of December and quit worrying about the temperature and what you have seen as far as buck movement in the past. As for Decatur County and Seminole County, I understand the want for extension, but remember that when your season is extended so will every other hunter still feeling frisky from the other 4 corners of the state. And some of them have deep pockets.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I live in Bainbridge and can concur with the January rut there however I have lived in and hunted in Early County for 25 years. Scouted cotton and been involved through work or friends with the Ag industry in Early County as well. There is a secondary rut there in January but it is limited. 75% of the fawns can be seen in fields feeding with does by the end of July or first week of August which 200 day gestation and a couple of weeks to get on their feet and moving with mom would mean conception sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That even goes for the Hilton area as previously mentioned in another post. The main reason folks see an uptick in bucks at the end of the season is because the stay married to food source/field edge/PM only styles and they usually hit those heavily as the rut declines for two reasons. One, they are run down and need to consume food quickly as temps drop and testosterone levels fall and two, the last few does that didn't take first go or were too young to come in will congregate there and they can kill 2 birds with one stone as opposed to searching doe bedding areas in thicker timber earlier in rut. So to those wanting more time in Early County, I say be in the woods from Thanksgiving until about the 20th of December and quit worrying about the temperature and what you have seen as far as buck movement in the past. As for Decatur County and Seminole County, I understand the want for extension, but remember that when your season is extended so will every other hunter still feeling frisky from the other 4 corners of the state. And some of them have deep pockets.

You probably know some good friends of mine. The Haddocks and Pullens.

buckpasser

Something else to consider. If they did break a few counties out for a different zone and season it could lead to higher lease prices over there. I would personally not have enough buck tags to make it worth my time most years, but there would be plenty from Thomasville to Valdosta to Tifton that might want a piece of the action over that way. They could hunt their rut and yours too while displacing you local folks with big money. If the coast went to an early zone, the big money could displace the good ol boys all over the place and hunt the rut for a couple months straight and would have an incentive to. Is this a phenomenon in FL?

Gumpbuck

Something else to consider. If they did break a few counties out for a different zone and season it could lead to higher lease prices over there. I would personally not have enough buck tags to make it worth my time most years, but there would be plenty from Thomasville to Valdosta to Tifton that might want a piece of the action over that way. They could hunt their rut and yours too while displacing you local folks with big money. If the coast went to an early zone, the big money could displace the good ol boys all over the place and hunt the rut for a couple months straight and would have an incentive to. Is this a phenomenon in FL?
Not really the case in FL and they have a 2 buck a day bag limit. For GA, its 2 bucks all season. If you tagged out in an earlier rut elsewhere, coming to the SW wont help. If not tagged out and you want another chance, I can see what you mean. But it really hasn't turned out that way in FL.

buckpasser

Not really the case in FL and they have a 2 buck a day bag limit. For GA, its 2 bucks all season. If you tagged out in an earlier rut elsewhere, coming to the SW wont help. If not tagged out and you want another chance, I can see what you mean. But it really hasn't turned out that way in FL.

That’s good. I’d like to see it happen if there aren’t many unintended negative consequences.

Latest posts