Eye been in the salty shallows again...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I made my way down on April 7th and just got back yesterday. I took along a long-time buddy who is not a member of the forum.
We fished the inside oyster bars, Marsh creeks, and the outside flats. We caught fish everywhere we went, but the first day we could only muster up lady fish and catfish. The next day, we could only catch trout! We moved around quite a bit trying to find some Reds but never could come up with one. I'm beginning to think I need to refine my redfish game, because I fished all the usual redfish methods, but came up empty-handed. We fish shrimp on a popping cork along the marsh edges at high tide. Soaked shrimp and blue crab chunks on the bottom around the oyster bar holes at low tide. We ran out to the rock garden and spent half a day looking for Reds there. Saw plenty of fish and caught a few trout but no reds.
On a rainy day, we took a ride over to Wakulla Springs. I've been there several times, but always win the rain is keeping us from fishing. Never been there on a bright beautiful day! For the first time we hung around a little while and paid our $11 to go on the tourist boat that runs up and down the river watching the wildlife. It was definitely worth the 11 bucks and the hour it took, and was probably the highlight of the trip for my buddy who is not quite a hardcore fisherman. I was trying to make it a vacation trip for him and not to wear him out with 8 and 10 hour fishing days.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 700
  • ezgif.com-resize (12).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (12).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 702
  • ezgif.com-resize (13).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (13).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 702
  • ezgif.com-resize (14).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (14).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 702
  • ezgif.com-resize (15).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (15).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:

1eyefishing

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (21).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (21).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 702
  • ezgif.com-resize (17).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (17).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 701
  • ezgif.com-resize (16).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (16).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 702

1eyefishing

On the way out, an oyster bar attacked my prop. Bent my prop shaft, out of business for a couple of weeks...

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (22).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (22).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 699

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
OUCH!!!
Glad you made a good trip for your friend.
MB is still in play for now.

doomtrpr_z71

Looks like you had a worse trip than me, we didn't even figure out what we were doing until the day before and stayed in Tallahassee at the tru Hilton instead of the fish camp.

1eyefishing

Well, if I had a bad trip I didn't even realize it. Things happen to boats, it's part of boating. Sure, I would never go if things like that happened every trip. But I'm not canceling my May reservations.
Looking forward to getting back down there again real soon and running the same area.
Hopefully me and Kansas can run around Indian Pass, St. Joe Bay, and Mexico Beach a little bit first!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Well, if I had a bad trip I didn't even realize it. Things happen to boats, it's part of boating. Sure, I would never go if things like that happened every trip. But I'm not canceling my May reservations.
Looking forward to getting back down there again real soon and running the same area.
Hopefully me and Kansas can run around Indian Pass, St. Joe Bay, and Mexico Beach a little bit first!

I sure hope you're not canceling in May! I would hate to have to text you some pics of Redfish to rub it in!

Sounds like a great trip outside of the boat issues. Never knew they did boat tours out of Wakulla. They've always been closed when I've been there and I think they were closed when we went by there during the last storms.