F.Y.I. ..Scam In Classifieds..

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I found a boat scam in the classifieds on GON. 1999 Lund Pro V Tournament 1775 for $2050.00, only contact info Name: Lydia. Looked on line and found the same ad with different addresses and contact info. TOO good to be true!

DannyW

Probably is a scam, but sometimes it can be explained.

Back in 2012 I found a 2001 SeaRay that claimed to be in like-new condition for below market price. Less than 10 hours on the engine they claimed (but no hour meter). I also found the same pictures of the boat, exact angles and miscelleanous stuff in the background, being offered by a completely different seller.

I confronted the seller with that information and he sheepishly admitted that he was too busy/lazy to take his own pictures, and he "stole" the pictures from another ad. Turns out he was the GM of the Tampa Bay Rowdies soccer team and he received the boat as part of his compensation package when he joined the organization. And it sat in his garage for 10 years and was only on the water maybe 5 times puttering around on the 40 acre lake behind his house.

Of course it needed new boots and a new battery but my mechanic said after thoroughly going over the boat that he absolutely believed "10 hours of use" claim...it was literally like new.

Again, I was lucky and you are smart to question the validity in your case, but you may want to ask for an explanation and see if it passes a sniff test.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Naw, I googled it and the exact same add, with different contact info in different states, came up on other sites. At first, I thought..Well some ticked off wife selling her cheat'n husband's stuff, but once I googled it the fake was clear.

Artfuldodger

I haven't seen one on here but I've seen them on Craigslist. Seems like a remember a red cuddy cabin that looked too good to be true. It was showing up all over the place on the internet with different seller info.

The same exact picture was used for all of the ads. Sometimes they'll have the same story but are supposedly different people.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I haven't seen one on here but I've seen them on Craigslist. Seems like a remember a red cuddy cabin that looked too good to be true. It was showing up all over the place on the internet with different seller info.

The same exact picture was used for all of the ads. Sometimes they'll have the same story but are supposedly different people.
If you look in the classifieds it's still there. I sent GON the info, but it's the weekend.

BDD

I've seen many scams on GON, most were side by side ATV's. There's a van camper on there now for $1900, I sent several messages with no reply. Not sure if it's a scam or not.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
How do you get to the classifieds? I can't find it.
Top of the page, just click where it says "classifieds". Then scroll down the menu on the right to find which ever items you're looking for...boats and watercraft...firearms-rifles..and such. Good deals in there, just gotta keep your eyes open.

BDD

Hay,
I got a reply back on the $1900 RV what I mentioned in my post above.

Googled it and seems she sells a lot of stuff… LOL

This is Kathy, the RV is still available for the price stated in the ad, $1,900, is in perfect condition and I can assure you there is no need to invest any money in it or any existent history of accidents, also is a non-pet/non-smoking RV. So, it is a 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular has a 5.9 Liter V8 engine with only 77,200 miles, automatic transmission, it has everything a big rig has but in a smaller package: kitchen, fridge, toilet, generator, thermostat controlled heat and A/C and much more. As you can see in the pictures is in excellent condition. The title is clear, the RV is paid in full, no lien/loan or any outstanding debts. It was my husband's RV and I own it because of my divorce settlement. I’m having some financial problems that need to be resolved also don't need it, so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible.
I'm a flight attendant for American Airlines and because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person, so I prepared everything with Amazon and left the RV in their possession. Best part about this is that you'll get 5 days for inspection for free with no further obligation or fees.
For more info on how it works, I can ask Amazon to send you an email with more details on how to buy it, but you will have to send me your full name, address and ph# so I can register you as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,
Kathy Davis

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Hay,
I got a reply back on the $1900 RV what I mentioned in my post above.

Googled it and seems she sells a lot of stuff… LOL

This is Kathy, the RV is still available for the price stated in the ad, $1,900, is in perfect condition and I can assure you there is no need to invest any money in it or any existent history of accidents, also is a non-pet/non-smoking RV. So, it is a 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular has a 5.9 Liter V8 engine with only 77,200 miles, automatic transmission, it has everything a big rig has but in a smaller package: kitchen, fridge, toilet, generator, thermostat controlled heat and A/C and much more. As you can see in the pictures is in excellent condition. The title is clear, the RV is paid in full, no lien/loan or any outstanding debts. It was my husband's RV and I own it because of my divorce settlement. I’m having some financial problems that need to be resolved also don't need it, so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible.
I'm a flight attendant for American Airlines and because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person, so I prepared everything with Amazon and left the RV in their possession. Best part about this is that you'll get 5 days for inspection for free with no further obligation or fees.
For more info on how it works, I can ask Amazon to send you an email with more details on how to buy it, but you will have to send me your full name, address and ph# so I can register you as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,
Kathy Davis
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
What in the wide world of sports is going on in the classifieds this morning???

Don't know but I contacted an admin to contact whoever is in charge with overseeing them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We forum staff have nothing at all to do with the Classifieds. That's the GON homepage folks.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I wish the classifieds would go back(IIRC) to being a subforum like it is on a lot of other forums.

There are a lot less scammers when you know(through the forum) who you are dealing with.

Maybe have both a GON classified and a GON Forum classified.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We forum staff have nothing at all to do with the Classifieds. That's the GON homepage folks.
Thanks NCH, I started this as a warning about 1 ad. Not sure what happened today, but the ad I mentioned was taken down quickly. I know that "Woody's" is all together different than GON.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I wish the classifieds would go back(IIRC) to being a subforum like it is on a lot of other forums.

There are a lot less scammers when you know(through the forum) who you are dealing with.

Maybe have both a GON classified and a GON Forum classified.

I actually bought and sold on the old board. Quit when this one showed up.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I actually bought and sold on the old board. Quit when this one showed up.

I did as well.

I hadn't been to the classifieds here in a few weeks and went today. There was a '77 Ramcharger for sale(I've been hunting one) and it was already gone. I have to check in there more often.