F150 grinding front left hub

Longhorn 16

Most of the people I know with a F150 have experienced this problem. Anyone one on here that has connections to Ford and why they won’t own it and come up with a solution.

My first 150 had it replaced four times with less than 80,000 miles. Bought a new 2016 150 and about to put it in the shop for the same issue for the third time and I have 52,000 miles on this truck.

F150 buyers beware!

Longhorn 16

Stock on the first truck and slightly larger non stock in the second. All of my friends that are having the same issue are running stock.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
2013, F150 , 2WD, 130K, no issues

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have a 2016 f160 4*4 with no issues. Also about 52k miles.

transfixer

I checked on Alldata for service campaigns or tsb's, nothing mentioned. I've not heard of this issue, even though I'm in a shop most of the time, but we're not seeing a lot of the newer body style Fords for whatever reason.

someguyintraffic

You guys work on your own trucks and swap wheels tires using same tools? Tighten your lugnuts. Jack front end up, grab tire and shake it to see if its loose.

bullfrog79

Usually bad iwe or vacuum issue on 4x models. Have seen the needle bearing in the wheel bearing dry, causing noise.

hopper

Crazy you and your friends have issues. 2 f150s one 250 all well over 200,000 miles and never heard of it. Definitely let us know when you figure it out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Most of the people I know with a F150 have experienced this problem. Anyone one on here that has connections to Ford and why they won’t own it and come up with a solution.

My first 150 had it replaced four times with less than 80,000 miles. Bought a new 2016 150 and about to put it in the shop for the same issue for the third time and I have 52,000 miles on this truck.

F150 buyers beware!

What is the “it” you had to replace 4 times?

Longhorn 16

On the two wheel drive the shop told me it was a tolerance problem that eventually led to bearing issues.

On the four wheel drive it has something to do with a lack of vacuum in the 4wd system that causes the failure.

I know that I will have a much more in depth conversation with the service department. Less than a thousand miles after last repair and the grinding is back.

bullfrog79

These trucks require vacuum to keep the front hubs disengaged. Without vacuum applied, the front end is locked in. Most of the time, low vacuum causes the iwe (integrated wheel end), to try and actuate, causing a grinding noise. 3 main culprits: iwe, iwe vacuum solenoid, vacuum harness. Hope this helps. Also, there is a one way check valve in the harness, check it also.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
These trucks require vacuum to keep the front hubs disengaged. Without vacuum applied, the front end is locked in. Most of the time, low vacuum causes the iwe (integrated wheel end), to try and actuate, causing a grinding noise. 3 main culprits: iwe, iwe vacuum solenoid, vacuum harness. Hope this helps. Also, there is a one way check valve in the harness, check it also.

If I read it right his 2wd is the one that failed 4 times. He hasn’t said exactly but I assume he is saying the spindle bearings on the older truck. I had an 06 F150 that had 185k on it when I sold it. Replaced the rotors one time at about 100k.

oops1

Buzzard Expert

Good info^^. The only time mine makes a grinding noise is if I'm on a dirt road with any amount of mud. the slightest bit of mud and my left front end gets to grinding. Is this due to the mud interfering with the vacuum?