Fabric vs Wood

CrossCentered

I am building wooden ground blinds. I am trying to decide whether to put plywood on sides or fabric, like heavy duty canvas type fabric. Does anyone have experience with how long fabric would last vs painted wood? I would be saving money, and weight with fabric. I have 1 wooden ground blind with painted plywood walls and the plywood is flaking but don’t know how old it is

Jim Boyd

I use Fiberglass panels.

Lasts forever.

sghoghunter

If you gonna use wood to frame it may as well use 3/8 plywood on the outside. We built some for plots on our place and they are very nice on a cold rainy morning

grif

We use Masonite siding, although it is getting harder to find. It's cheap and it lasts many years. We found a local supplier who sells damaged pieces cheap when they have them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve built a few out of conduit and used this green cloth that I think is chicken house curtain, light and works great AB617355-ACF9-4235-B74F-9F83801BE40F.jpeg

Darkhorse

I use old treated fence pickets from an old privacy fence. They last a long time. New pickets are an option but may be cost prohibitive.
I got mine courtesy of a hurricane a few years ago.

Jim Boyd

Where do you find the fiberglass panels and how much are they?

I get old translucent roofs off of 53’ trailers. One roll lasts forever.

Paints easily and again, is forever. No rot, no UV degradation.

Makes excellent roofs and sides.

Joe EC

I have used the heaviest duty weed fabric. The black stuff that landscapers put under the mulch to keep weeds from growing through it.

Lilly001

Hunting blinds seem to be an exercise in useing anything available and adapting it to your needs.
American ingenuity at its best.

ryanh487

Harbor freight sells canvas drop cloths pretty cheap. I would imagine that with a good coat of camo spraypaint they would last for several years and be easy to replace or repair with a staple gun and some furring strips.

If you go the fabric route, staple the ends to a 1×2, then roll it a couple times, and screw the 1×2 into the frame. It will prevent the edges from tearing free in the wind over time.

Buck70

I use the metal side of an old above ground pool. You can get them for free from houses that have had one collapse. Just ask the owner. Most times you haul everything away though.

GAbuckhunter88

I get old translucent roofs off of 53’ trailers. One roll lasts forever.

Paints easily and again, is forever. No rot, no UV degradation.

Makes excellent roofs and sides.

Where do you find them at?

Dbender

I use old trampoline mats. You can pick them up all the time. Blicks 90% of the wind zip tie them in place. One person can put it up by themselves. It lasts a super long time. If your top isnt square it is no big deal. Best ive used for the cost and ease of use.

BDD

I use the metal side of an old above ground pool. You can get them for free from houses that have had one collapse. Just ask the owner. Most times you haul everything away though.

I was scrolling down to post this same thing, the pool tin is already painted to look like wood

And will never need painted again and last just about forever, works great for the roof also.

CrossCentered

I ended going with the harbor freight drop canvas, and some old tin scraps for the roof. Jim Boyd does your company sell the old fiberglass panels, or throw them away in a specific dumpster that would be legal to access to the public ha ha

lonewolf247

I've tried just about everything: Cloth, vinyl, canvas, plywood, fence boards, tin, fiberglass, Masonite, etc.

Most of them will work, and there are some drawbacks. I mostly used what I had available. Plywood probably gives the best fit and finish, but I'd only use treated plywood. The fiberglass and mason panels work good too, if you can find them. In the early days, I've cloth and vinyl, but they seem to offer a good hideout for wasps!

Recently, I've done several with tin, because I have a lot of it! It works well, and last forever. Wasps will nest on it, just like any other panel, but they're easily spotted and accessible, not like other cloth and vinyl options the can hide in.