Faith...

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
A wise teacher we have at church once said "calm seas don't make good sailors"Faith grows most in the hard times when you have no where else to turn.

I think we some times think we have to have more faith than we do.A mustard seed is pretty small.In hard times it is easy for me to think of God because I have no where else to turn.Growing faith is alot like growing a garden,it doesn't happen by accident.If you don't spend time regular with God's people and in his word don't expect much.God through out the scriptures blessed action type folks.

I agree with you and the others. Faith doesn't come naturally.
God gives us a degree of faith, but we are forced to cultivate it for ourselves.
It takes purpose of heart to develop faith in God during those times that we think we have to take care of things ourselves.

And, as someone else said, it takes a lot faith in order to make sacrifices in life for the sake of Christ.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Luke 17
5 And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”

I find it interesting that when the apostles asked this, Jesus answered with this:

6 So the Lord said, “If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. 7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? 8 But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’? 9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. 10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’”

There is a deep truth hidden in here I believe, which speaks to me that Faith is increased or lifted to a higher level by servanthood and accepting with humility the duty that God has given you.

Just a thought!

ronpasley

Luke 17
5 And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”

I find it interesting that when the apostles asked this, Jesus answered with this:

6 So the Lord said, “If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. 7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? 8 But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’? 9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. 10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’”

There is a deep truth hidden in here I believe, which speaks to me that Faith is increased or lifted to a higher level by servanthood and accepting with humility the duty that God has given you.

Just a thought!

I agree also with you brother
Amen

ronpasley

Here is something else to throw in about faith.

You have faith and you know that all things are possible but nothing happens is it because your faith is not strong enough are you lost your faith.

I know in times I pray but no answer and no mircale happens but I know I believe and have faith.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Good question Ron.
Happens to me all the time.

I guess we still need to work on our faith and keep trusting in God
no matter what.
I know this, even when God doesn't answer the way I wished He would,
I'm always blessed.

1gr8bldr

Biblical faith is different than most people think. Most people consider belief and faith the same but this is not exactly biblical. Faith is what the ancients were commended for. Abraham left, not believed, put his beliefs in action and left for an unknown journey based on the promises of God. He turned down a fortune when offered cause he believed God's promise that he would make Abraham rich. The harlot who hid the spies had faith in the promise that she would be protected rather than leave the city for a safer place. Faith is a response, biblically speaking, that stems from what we believe. All beliefs should be noticed by what response comes from that belief. If I believe Jesus's work on the cross was complete, then I'll rest from my work of trying to be good enough.

Biblical faith is different than most people think. Most people consider belief and faith the same but this is not exactly biblical. Faith is what the ancients were commended for. Abraham left, not believed, put his beliefs in action and left for an unknown journey based on the promises of God. He turned down a fortune when offered cause he believed God's promise that he would make Abraham rich. The harlot who hid the spies had faith in the promise that she would be protected rather than leave the city for a safer place. Faith is a response, biblically speaking, that stems from what we believe. All beliefs should be noticed by what response comes from that belief. If I believe Jesus's work on the cross was complete, then I'll rest from my work of trying to be good enough.

thats an interesting definition of faith and exactly why i wanted to research faith further. can you think of any bible verses that would show this. i'd love to see more examples than abraham and rahab.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
thats an interesting definition of faith and exactly why i wanted to research faith further. can you think of any bible verses that would show this. i'd love to see more examples than abraham and rahab.

Take a look at Hebrews 11.

That'll get you fired up.

1gr8bldr

Hi Fritz, Before we leave Abraham, lets look at how God "worked" faith into Abraham. Also notice that James, when giving examples of "works" was not talking about works as we think but used examples of faith in action. Abraham set out on a journey based on faith. He knew not where he was going yet went based on the promises that God had made. Keep in mind that Abraham is considered the father of our faith so learning about Abraham is key. This is a partial to something I wrote about 6 months ago on another forumn about the Kingdom of God. Abraham wavered in his faith as God patiently deals with him. Abrahams's lack of faith in God to provide caused him to "go back" also caused him to fear for his life although he was invincible because of the promise that God would give him offspring. His lack of faith caused him to try "to help God out" by creating the promise himself through Sarah's maidservant. But in the course of his journey he began to trust God and God was faithful. I am glad to say that Abraham's faith was proven when he reckoned that God would raise Issac because he learned to trust God's promises. God was so patient with Abraham, protecting his marriage, blessing Ishmael, giving him Issac and making his name great. Now, If I have time, we can look at some others, especially Jesus's faith. Later

1gr8bldr

Good thinking stuff, lets dig deeper... its later!
Sorry I have not come back to this, It will be first of the week before I have time to get into this to deep. Something to think about; did Jesus just know the things he spoke about, such as being killed and raised to life again or did he have faith that those things written about him would come to pass???

1gr8bldr

Hey Fritz, just thought of one, there are many that I will list later but think of Joseph making his sons promise to take his bones with them when God moves them out to the promise land. In this he shows that it is not his hope that one day God will do this but his faith was shown when he had his sons promise that when ,and he knew it was just a matter of when,God gave them the promise land, they must take his bones. Now what this promise is for us as NT believers is what is missing in modern day christianity but that's another thread

Israel

BANNED
Sometimes, when I think of faith, I think of Ezekiel.
Read this, consider this, pray about this...God knew he could "get away" with treating Ezekiel this way...cause he knew he was His.

Eze 24:15 Also the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Eze 24:16 Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke: yet neither shalt thou mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down.
Eze 24:17 Forbear to cry, make no mourning for the dead, bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet, and cover not thy lips, and eat not the bread of men.
Eze 24:18 So I spake unto the people in the morning: and at even my wife died; and I did in the morning as I was commanded.
Eze 24:19 And the people said unto me, Wilt thou not tell us what these things are to us, that thou doest so?
Eze 24:20 Then I answered them, The word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Eze 24:21 Speak unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will profane my sanctuary, the excellency of your strength, the desire of your eyes, and that which your soul pitieth; and your sons and your daughters whom ye have left shall fall by the sword.
Eze 24:22 And ye shall do as I have done: ye shall not cover your lips, nor eat the bread of men.
Eze 24:23 And your tires shall be upon your heads, and your shoes upon your feet: ye shall not mourn nor weep; but ye shall pine away for your iniquities, and mourn one toward another.
Eze 24:24 Thus Ezekiel is unto you a sign: according to all that he hath done shall ye do: and when this cometh, ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

Never saw that story in Ezekiel before. That's a true example of God's way is above our way and we must trust Him with the very substance of our lives.