Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
How come you can use less pounds/acre of white clover than crimson clover? ....... white has more seeds/lb.

Attachments

• Seeds per pound.JPG
    Seeds per pound.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 5,584

fellybbob

is there a map showing diferent types of soils (clay, sandy etc) for the state of Georgia ( state wide or county wide ).

uga most have some type of map somewhere :type:

is that somewhere mention on a soil test.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
is there a map showing diferent types of soils (clay, sandy etc) for the state of Georgia ( state wide or county wide ).

uga most have some type of map somewhere :type:

is that somewhere mention on a soil test.

You might check with the tax office in your county. With the Soil conservation program in the rural counties they might have one or can head you in the right direction.(Except Talbot Co. They don't have a map. UGA extension service might have one also.

Triple C

With this being the slowest time of year for any habitat work or planting I thought I would post pics of a couple of bomb-proof gravity feeders we've been using since 2011. The 55 gallon drum is made by Texas Hunter products. Has a galvanized loose fitting top that is easy-on easy-off. A plastic insert in the bottom of the drum has 3 ports that allow the feed to come down into the troughs. Legs are heavy gauge steel that pigs can't destroy. We have 2 of these and they work really well. Bucks seem to like them as well...
Texas Hunter Feeder.jpg

The is the Double D feeder. They are made in S. GA and usually have an ad in GON each month. Made of galvanized steel with a hinge top that is easy to fill.
Double D Feeder.jpg

We use the custom mix protein feed from Oglethorpe Feed and Seed located between Crawford and Lexington. Has enough corn in it to keep the deer coming back.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Top shelf stuff as always Canuck. This one gets to be a Sticky.

Triple C

Couldn't find my favorite thread...

Canuck...Logged on this morning to see any updates to this thread and couldn't find it! Finally saw it in the "Sticky" section. Well deserved!!! Looking forward to the fall planting season and following everyone's progress.

Canuck5

I'm honored!!! Thank you!

Canuck5

Well, there are lots of smart people on here, who can really add to this thread and help out everyone ... but thanks! :)

Canuck5

Ive got my list of things I plan to buy this year ..... wheat, oats, crimson clover, arrowleaf clover, daikon radish', chicory and maybe give Austrian Winter Peas another try, along with fertilizer.

So, once I get pricing from a couple of sources, I'll add them here. If you get prices from your local source, please add them as well.

Canuck5

Reading a soil test

Canuck5

How to read a soil test

Just some more info on soil testing

Attachments

• How to read a soil test1.JPG
    How to read a soil test1.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,267
  • How to read a soil test.JPG
    How to read a soil test.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,302

Canuck5

So, having properly limed soils (cheap man's fertilizer), allows your plants to pull nutrients out of the soil. You want your deer to get the most out of what they eat, so optimizing your soil is the way to do it ... besides, an acidic soil wastes a lot of your fertilizer dollars.

Attachments

• Acidic soils.JPG
    Acidic soils.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,742

Triple C

Woody's Campfire Fall Semester
Course: Food Plotting 101
Professor: Cancuck5

Canuck...The last post should be required reading for anyone new to food plotting! Figure 4 showing the percentage of nutrients not available in very acidic soils says it all. Thanks for taking the time to post this info. Anytime I see a post from a fellow hunter asking about "putting in a food plot", I will refer to this thread - post 35.

Canuck5

Thanks Triple C! It's easy to see what is better ..... spending $100 on fertilizer or spending $100 on lime!

Canuck5

Top 10 Liming Questions

Attachments

• Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,249

Canuck5

More liming questions

Attachments

• Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG