Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I was browsing Welters seed catalog today and saw a new clover offer named Aberlasting. After doing some research on it I thought some of us white clover lovers may be interested in it. It is a hybrid between Caucasian (Kura) clover and white clover, it’s not quite as pricey as durana but certainly not cheap. Here’s a link with some info.
http://www.grasslandoregon.com/assets/aberlasting.pdf

That looks interesting! If you try it, keep us posted!!

Triple C

I was browsing Welters seed catalog today and saw a new clover offer named Aberlasting. After doing some research on it I thought some of us white clover lovers may be interested in it. It is a hybrid between Caucasian (Kura) clover and white clover, it’s not quite as pricey as durana but certainly not cheap. Here’s a link with some info.
http://www.grasslandoregon.com/assets/aberlasting.pdf
I'll be interested to see how this does for you David.

Canuck5

I'm not very smart ..... so, when Farmlogs https://farmlogs.com/ sent me notification that we had more rain on the property last night, I did some bouncing around on the sight and found out that they identified some soil types for one of our properties. They keep adding to farmlogs all the time and this was the first time I noticed it.

Soil at the Hill.JPGSoil at the Hill-1.JPG

davidhelmly

I have had 4 " in the last 2 weeks.
I'm not very smart ..... so, when Farmlogs https://farmlogs.com/ sent me notification that we had more rain on the property last night, I did some bouncing around on the sight and found out that they identified some soil types for one of our properties. They keep adding to farmlogs all the time and this was the first time I noticed it.

View attachment 938474View attachment 938475

Farmlogs is a very cool sight, I looked around and found the soil types too, very interesting! I was curious about our lack of rain and according to Farmlogs we have had .26" of rain total since July 16 but we did get some last night!!! :cool::cool:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'll be interested to see how this does for you David.

Me too. I'm diving in neck deep with clover this year. No more half measures. The one plot I have in clover is drawing every kind of animal there is right now and holy wah do I got the bucks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The magic of clover explained in 2 pictures.

IMG_0020mod.jpgIMG_0069mod.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep!!! And all that is left to do is spray for weeds and Lime/fert.And be ready to hunt

Yep. I sprayed for grass a month ago. Put down the lime too. Got the 2-4-dB teed up and ready to go. In fact I may spray this coming weekend. Middle of September it will be 500 lbs of 0-20-20 and then it's time to rock and roll.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Hopefully spraying for nutsedge this weekend. Bushhogged 2 weeks ago. Calling in the lime/fert truck in Sept and I am done on my big food plot. Then bushhog 4 miles of roads,check stands and ready to hunt.

Canuck5

Lime truck will arrive in the next few weeks (hopefully). We still have lots of bush hogging to do. I plan to spread fertilizer and work up the ground for my annual plots, the end of this month, hopefully!

We've had such good rainfall this year, that I am planning to get more perennial clover growing around the plots, to leave standing. I'm doing this because I know the next drought is just around the corner!

Canuck5

Just thought I'd throw this out there, if anyone is looking for a more extensive soil test analysis. I just took in another set of samples to see where I am. All available to us, here in Georgia, if we feel something is lacking in our soil.

I know there are other labs out there who can do plant tissue analysis, for more definititve determination on what any problems there could be .... but my deer haven't asked for that yet.

https://www.agsourcelaboratories.co...s/plant-tissue-testing#172215-testing-options

http://extension.uga.edu/county-off...natural-resources/testing---lab-services.html

Soil test costs.JPG

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
They said rain for next week so I went ape planting food plots this weekend. It's all done. Now I need the rain. It better come too because from here on out work is done and it's time to hunt as far as I'm concerned.

Canuck5

I believe I will be going ape wild next weekend!!!

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My daughter and I planted five of ours yesterday, and I hope to get our last 6 done next weekend, bring on the rain!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Planted mine to let the rain fall.

Salvation is for all who believe in Gods Word.

I'll hazard salvation for 1.25 " of rain this week.:bounce:

Canuck5

Hey Canuck, I’ve got a throw n mow question for you. If I were to overseed some cereal grain and brassica into some of my perennial clover plots early-mid Sep and then ran over them with a cultipacker or my big drag flipped over, do you think I would get enough seed to soil contact for decent germination? I’m going to try and not break any ground this year if I can help it.

I've been thinking about this, just trying to figure out how "we" might effectively accomplish this, in a perennial clover plot, without doing too much damage to the clover, but yet optimize our over seeding. I think maybe something like this, with 50% less tines might work. 50% less tines to help keep the "trash" from building up too much. I'm going to keep a look out for one of these (we all need more equipment, right?) and maybe play around with it.

davidhelmly

I've been thinking about this, just trying to figure out how "we" might effectively accomplish this, in a perennial clover plot, without doing too much damage to the clover, but yet optimize our over seeding. I think maybe something like this, with 50% less tines might work. 50% less tines to help keep the "trash" from building up too much. I'm going to keep a look out for one of these (we all need more equipment, right?) and maybe play around with it.

That does look like it could work, I’ve never seen one in person. To answer your question, I agree completely that you can never have too much equipment!!! ?

GeorgeShu

David and Canuck, I have one of these pine straw rakes that I have used to cover seed with when I seed into a prepared seed bed. I have also used it to scratch things up when I have top seeded into my Durana plots. It has served me quite well over the years for both purposes. You need to adjust the top link so the tines slant a bit backwards else it will pick up lots of loose trash and make a mess. AgriSupply carries them and I suppose other do too. Price has gone way up since I bought mine!

Attachments

• 82398.jpg
    82398.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5