Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I've been thinking about this, just trying to figure out how "we" might effectively accomplish this, in a perennial clover plot, without doing too much damage to the clover, but yet optimize our over seeding. I think maybe something like this, with 50% less tines might work. 50% less tines to help keep the "trash" from building up too much. I'm going to keep a look out for one of these (we all need more equipment, right?) and maybe play around with it.

You want to try using my landscape rake and turning it around backwards come and get it. It think it would work.I planted last weekend.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I will be in touch!!! Once I get my annuals planted.

Canuck5

I got my soil test results back and it showed that I was a little low in Potassium, which I will adjust, at some point next year. Since I'm not harvesting a crop and hauling it away, I get less worried about it, however, maybe I should?

Good potassium levels help with protein production, which is what I want, plus it helps with the plant to deal with heat and drought conditions. Hmmmmmmmm

http://extension.uga.edu/content/da...am Newsletter Volume 4-Issue 1 March 2016.pdf

Potassium.JPG

GeorgeShu

Here are some pics of my pine needle rake, its 6 ft long. Also a pic showing before and after running the rake across a Durana plot that I just overseeded and fertilized. This is my solution to improving seed-tRake1.jpgRake1.jpgRake2.jpgRake3.jpgo-soil contact when I over seed. I also use this rake to cover seeds in plots that have been well harrowed after fertilization. Provide a nice smooth bed and lightly covers most of the seeds.

Canuck5

That looks good George!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Rain! A good hard soaking rain in 31822! Woo Hoo! :banana::banana::banana::banana::fine::fine::fine::fine::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
If the red area dances around me I think I'll cry. It's almost there!

davidhelmly

Here are some pics of my pine needle rake, its 6 ft long. Also a pic showing before and after running the rake across a Durana plot that I just overseeded and fertilized. This is my solution to improving seed-tView attachment 944172View attachment 944172View attachment 944173View attachment 944174o-soil contact when I over seed. I also use this rake to cover seeds in plots that have been well harrowed after fertilization. Provide a nice smooth bed and lightly covers most of the seeds.

George, that rake looks like it does a great job in the clover, it disturbs the clover just enough but doesn’t do any harm to it!!

Canuck5

So, my food plots enjoyed a nice 2 3/4" of rain, from "Michael" and the oats and soybeans are up and just waiting on the clovers, radishes and turnips to start doing their stuff. A nice cool front is coming thru, so we should be good to go!

I started thinking about oats in general and Buck Forage Oats, in particular. I found out that Buck Forage Oats really started out, as a variety of Coker oats. Coker 833 is what they were originally labeled in the late '90's.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/lbenedict/articles/page1520524017934

Their claim to fame is that they stay tender, sweeter and green longer than most other oat varieties. This is typical of most forage variety of oats, but maybe BFO just does it a little better(?). I have not used any "other" forage oats and most of the time, it's just plain Coker oats, that I plant.

So, I wondered what work UGA has done for forage oats, specifically for Georgia, and specifically for wildlife, so I emailed Dr. Dennis Hancock and he gave some guidance on work that was already done. I'm not sure what all this means for me, but I found it interesting. I'm not sure what the prices are for these seed varieties or where I can get them easily, but it all has me thinking .... Not sure if they are any better than BFO or not, but I'd like to compare, one day.

https://site.extension.uga.edu/forageteam/2018/09/cool-season-wildlife-food-plots/

http://georgiaforages.caes.uga.edu/species-and-varieties/cool-season/oat.html

Forage Grain Recommendations for Georgia.JPG

Canuck5

Just for my own reference, it looks like Horizon 306 oat seed might be the most preferred option to consider for Georgia, wildlife. It will be a treated seed, since it is sold to farmers and sells in the ball park of $20 - $21 per bag. I think it might be a good option to do some comparisons on, next fall. Something for me to think about.

Canuck5

A few interesting things in here ..... "More mature bucks in your herd will stabilize the social system, compress the breeding season and move it earlier in the year." Less late born fawns giving them a greater chance of survival.

davidhelmly

Great vide
A few interesting things in here ..... "More mature bucks in your herd will stabilize the social system, compress the breeding season and move it earlier in the year." Less late born fawns giving them a greater chance of survival.

Great video, that would be interesting work! I wonder if the bucks get laughed at with their shaved belt?! ?

Canuck5

Sure seems like a mean thing to do!!!! :):):)

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
3 wek old throw and grow of wheat and crimson after the turkeys came through Seeded,fert,limed and then bushhogged over
.A George Shu approach.

Attachments

• 20181102_161636.jpg
    20181102_161636.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 31

Canuck5

Just some more things to ponder, with overseeding. The tire drag, that he made, with the chains, seems to ruff the soil up pretty well! (Funny looking deer in this video, tho)

Canuck5

Another ......

Canuck5

A thick stand of anything, is good weed control, in and of itself (expect for maybe grass)

Canuck5

Another year rolling around and our season was pretty good, but nearing an end. Now it's time to start making a few plans, the first one being mineral sites.

With the amount of warm weather (relative) that we are having, the food plots are nice and green and looking good, providing lots of beneficial nutrients for the gestating does and soon to be antlerless bucks. I think the jury is still "out" on whether or not "minerals" we put out, benefit the deer, but I do know that salt is pretty important.

For bucks, I've always been told that the mineral need for them, is when they drop their antlers and start growing new ones, so we're nearing that time, in the next 30 days or so. That's on my list for our next work weekend.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2012/04/20/the-4-things-you-need-to-know-about-minerals-for-deer/

Minerals-1.JPG

Why do bucks drop antlers early?

https://www.qdma.com/causes-early-antler-casting/

davidhelmly

Canuck, I got a book this week by Gabe Brown that I am in the process of reading, if you haven’t read it I bet you would enjoy it!F997E4BE-B438-4235-A972-6B5AAD33C01E.jpeg