Family vacations, when you were a kid . .

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I hated family vacations when I was a kid!
My little brother (7 years younger) was very car-sickly and always threw up all over the back seat. I was the designated vomit watcher-outer! It was always my fault if I didn't get it contained in a bucket before he spewed all over everything.
50 + years later, I still can't get him outside of the inlet on a boat with any type of swell at all...

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation

Jeff Phillips

One trip to Myrtle Beach between 1st and 2nd grade. After we moved to Georgia I was sent to E. Tennessee for the summers. Putting up hay, hoeing the garden, feeding cows, cutting weeds off the fences with a sythe, etc. Goodtimes?

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
Four kids and my parents in a 1937 ford from Oregon to Oklahoma,first breakdown was in Idaho,got worse after that.I think it was 1946.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We would also go to Cherokee NC. for a 3 day weekend during a holiday. Got my picture taken with a real Indian Chief. They finally stopped that practice.Also went to "Unto These Hills" .

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We would also go to Cherokee NC. for a 3 day weekend during a holiday. Got my picture taken with a real Indian Chief. They finally stopped that practice.Also went to "Unto These Hills" .
Yeah, we did that once it snowed good up there. All ways came home with new sleds that were useless down here.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I can remember traveling from Ohio to Daytona beach 2 or 3 times in the seventies to see the race in February. Went to Detroit one year to the Henry Ford museum and Deerfield village. Stopped at a drag racing track on the way up. We usually made it to cedar point (amusement park) once every summer

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Never went as a young child. Once Dad moved north for work we always went back to my grandparents in KY for vacation. I fished a lot on those vacations.

sinclair1

Never went out of state much. My parents had a place on lake Lanier and we went there on weekends fairly regular, but never a trip to the beach.
I went to the beach with neighbor friend before teenage years.

Its crazy now days. Our neighbor takes their kids all over the place, about 20 trips a year on weekends and full weeks.

We go yearly to the beach and every other weekend to the lakehouse. No way I could live my parents homebody lifestyle.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Only vacations we ever had involved going to visit with family members such as Uncles and Aunts. They live on lake Okeechobee, and we got a decent tour of Florida. Daddy would always leave around 3AM while it was still dark and a little cooler in June. I fought it but would eventually drift off to sleep. I would usually wake up about daylight and there would be these orange groves on both sides of the road. A couple of times Daddy would stop the car and we would pick up a few oranges off the ground.
The kids slept on pallets at the kin folks houses, and Daddy and me would fish from the bank of the perimeter canal that circled lake Okeechobee. On the way back we would eat a picnic lunch at the Bach tower, and dream of being able to go into one of those Alligator roadside places. All of this was before Interstates. I have retraced that old route down Hwy 41/19 when my kids were young. There were interstates then, but we took the ole roads. I even stopped at one or two of the Alligator places along the way.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My dad had a really good job with substantial vacation time.

One summer we went to Niagara Falls.
2 summers we went to visit my Uncle & his family when they lived in Mt.
We also used to go to Cherokee NC. Back then I don't think Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge were tourist towns.
I don't have a lot of memories of these trips because I was so young.

My wife & I always take the kids on vacation during the summer. I guess carrying on the tradition.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We went to my grand parents house for Christmas. It was a mile away.
I always wondered why my cousins always got good stuff from Santa.
I got a box ?. They all wanted to play with it.

K80

4th thru 6th grade my dad, my uncle (dad's brother in law) , one of his boys, and I left on the last day of school to go camping down at lake oconee if I recall correctly and ran trot lines for a few days. We also went fishing at steinhatchee fl (iircc) with a small group of dads hunting and fishing buddies a couple times during this same time frame. Dad also used much of his vac time during deer season. My oldest brother is 11 years older than me and was in the Navy, I typically went and visited him during the summer's from the time I was about 8.

We never went on traditional family vacations which was fine by me as I'd had rather been running trotlines and deer hunting than sitting at the beach or seeing tourist attractions. The few times I've gone on a traditional vacation as an adult something bad happened, it was a make a wish trip for grant, or it cost me a fortune in loss revenue as a small business owner plus the following week it would rain leaving two weeks with no income... when I had a cushy job what little vacation time I took was used for hunting. Rolled over as much time as possible and ened up being used when Grant was sick.

I would like to find a remote cabin on a small uncrowded lake with great fishing somewhere to start a tradition of taking my daughter's on an annual trip.

NOYDB

BANNED
A vacation I remember was camping at Ft Astoria for two weeks. We took our bicycles and rode everywhere. Most fun was clam digging for razor clams and then eating them for breakfast.

Another was the time we stayed at a neighbor's beach house in Oceanside oregon and watched whales out at sea from the bay windows.

jigman29

We couldn't afford to go much so we camped in the woods around here. My aunt moved to Florida when I was young and we went to stay with her a couple summers. I hated it there and wouldn't trade one mountain ridge for the whole blamed state!
I took my kids somewhere ever summer or two, usually florida or the smokies. I'm not too much on vacations myself.

Havana Dude

Mostly trips to see relatives. A trip to Disney when it first opened, and a few other places , but mostly relatives. Now that I’m older, I now understand why relatives don’t visit us. They had enough of us way back when. I don’t blame them. I think I’d get ill if we had relatives pile in on us like we used to do.

DSGB

Spent many summers backpacking in the Smokies. Some years the whole family, others just me and my dad while the others stayed in a hotel or campground.

Every now and then we'd go to the beach (PCB, Destin, St. Augustine), but I preferred the cool mountain air in the heat of the summer.