Family vacations, when you were a kid . .

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Most of our vacations were camping trips. We usually spent a week or two camped on lake Chatuge during the summer. Dad built a camper that fit in the bed of his '76 Ford and we would set it up, then go get the boat and would anchor up over brush piles and set out the Coleman lanterns and crappie fish all night.

The biggest trip we ever took was to drive to International Falls, MN and rent a houseboat. We towed an aluminum fishing boat behind the houseboat and went up into Canada where we used the houseboat as a basecamp and fished all week. I'd like to do that trip again with my own kids.

georgia_home

At about age 7, went on a 3 week trip with mom and my aunt. Europe. At 7, I didn’t remember a lot. Motherwell / Edinboro (?spelling) Scotland, London, Paris (they gave me my own bottle of wine on the Eiffel Tower) Brussels and Amsterdam.

Then back to Scotland for several days. Friends were from Scotland and competing in the Highland games. Pipers and dancers.

Everything else was family trips, day trips or overnighters.

Parents did have a shack on the bay, so many weekends were spend there. Swim, with sea nettles, fish, hunting when in season, blood sucker mosquitos, riding bikes, bon fires on the beach. All sorts of great kid stuff.

These days, the kid loves amusement parks, 6flags type places, so long weekend trips work. Wife likes more regular interests, so king tut, Endeavour, and six flags were out last long weekend.

leroy

My grandmother worked for Hartwell mills and they took 2 mill houses and set them up side by side on lake hartwell and employees could put in to stay in them. Very nice for its time several big bedrooms with multiple beds, big kitchen, screened porch. Dock, boat ramp which made for good swimming. We would spend each 1st week of august there fill both houses up with family. We had no A/C but these houses did i always remember how cold we kept it. Adults played Horseshoes and rook, no phones, was great simple times. Took occasional trip to Cherokee. Finally went to beach when i was 15 yrs old.

Quepos1

I had a great childhood in the 50s-60s. My Mom was from South Carolina so she took us kids there every summer for two weeks. Two of her sisters lived in New Orleans and we went there for two weeks before or after the South Carolina trip.

We had a cabin on what we called The Backwaters (Lake Harding) on the Chattahoochee north of Columbus where we fished and skied all year long. My parents also built a cabin in Mexico Beach, FL where we spent many long weekends fishing mostly for trout and redfish but some king mackerel as well.

In the fall and winter we dove hunted on friends property all over west Central Georgia and rabbit/quail hunted in the winter. My Dad did not care for deer hunting so we didn't do much of that, just a little.

As I said, I had a great childhood

Mexican Squealer

Loved our August ritual of spending the last two weeks at Seabrook Island. Fell in love with the Lowcountry. Still spend a bunch of time there. Waterfowl hunting trips to Saskatchewan also stand out as my favorite vacations...

Oldstick

Ghost Town

+1 on that. Maggie Valley, Lake Junaluska, the sliding rock etc. We were fortunate my Dad was a Methodist Minister and often got to attend conferences at Lake Junaluska in the summers.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My dad worked at a local cotton mill. We also had a chicken house and beef cattle. It only worked out twice in my childhood that daddy was off work and we didn’t have chickens. Once we went to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga. The other time to Frontierland and Ghost Town. Fond memories.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
+1 on that. Maggie Valley, Lake Junaluska, the sliding rock etc. We were fortunate my Dad was a Methodist Minister and often got to attend conferences at Lake Junaluska in the summers.
That's where I live, about smack-dab between those. I actually worked for the Junaluska Assembly for a few years back in my younger days.

Most of our vacations were camping trips. We usually spent a week or two camped on lake Chatuge during the summer. Dad built a camper that fit in the bed of his '76 Ford and we would set it up, then go get the boat and would anchor up over brush piles and set out the Coleman lanterns and crappie fish all night.

The biggest trip we ever took was to drive to International Falls, MN and rent a houseboat. We towed an aluminum fishing boat behind the houseboat and went up into Canada where we used the houseboat as a basecamp and fished all week. I'd like to do that trip again with my own kids.
Back when my grandpa was still alive, we'd go up to Lake Glenville and spend several days camping and fishing every year in early fall. We'd bring back washtubs full of bream for the freezer. The walleye and trout and smallmouth got fried and ate in camp.

Oldstick

That's where I live, about smack-dab between those. I actually worked for the Junaluska Assembly for a few years back in my younger days.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say, "The only bad thing about coming up here is eventually you have to pack and go home."