Farm Pond Talapia?

Chrisco6

Would yall consider putting Nile type Talapia in a Georgia farm pond? I have been thinkin bout putting some males in one of the small ponds on my property, just back and forth on it. Against invasive species, but like raising my own meat. Any experience or input?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
PM sent.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My uncle had a couple hundred put in a small pond in south Alabama, maybe 8’ deep and they grew well and we ate a few and they were very good , maybe the second winter it got really cold and they all died

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Would yall consider putting Nile type Talapia in a Georgia farm pond? I have been thinkin bout putting some males in one of the small ponds on my property, just back and forth on it. Against invasive species, but like raising my own meat. Any experience or input?
Might want to read the rules first, Georgia is a lot more strict than some other states.

https://georgiawildlife.com/aquaculture#tilapia

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I wonder how many backyard aquarists are responsible for inadvertently introducing things like snakeheads, Asian carp etc. Why do people in this day and age think it's ever a good idea to bring in a non-native species to an area? Do we not have hundreds of examples of non-native flora and fauna wreaking havoc on native ecosystems to learn from.

Bream Pole

Don't know rules, but knew a doctor in Fla. who had a special pond for them and would catch them with a cast net when church wanted a fish fry.

Tom W.

A man I know in Eufaula did that to his upper pond. It ruined it for fishing anymore. I believe that they all died out after the second year.

One of my bosses had a pond that had crappies in it. I was told to go when I wanted and catch all that I could. If I didn't want them or knew someone that did, throw them over the dam and let the coons have them. Talk about a ecosystem mess!
It was nothing to catch 100 in a few hours, and all I ever used for them was little pearl colored triple ripple jigs and 1/16th oz. jig heads.

MikeyD6

Deleted

Tilapia don't do well in cold water. Under 58 degrees for a prolonged period and they die. Old Hickory Lake in TN has huge tilapia, but the only reason they survive is because they congregate in the winter where the steam plant pumps warm water into the lake. You'd be wasting your money.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Just saying but a whole better fish to eat than a tilapia. Basically they are septic tanks of the water body.

ucfireman

I had thought about using a cheap above ground swimming pool and stocking it in the spring and processing them in the fall and freezing them. Seems like it would be easy to do and don't have to worry about them getting into the "wild".
Also thought about doing it with bluegill, but haven't done either yet.