Farmers squatting for photos?

Artfuldodger

Looking at old photos in rural areas, I noticed a lot of folks squatting in their photos. This could be men and women. It got me thinking of how people used to squat. Even in town a small group of farmers would squat on the sidewalk in the shade to talk. I can remember seeing a few people, mostly farmers and country folk squatting to talk. We didn't usually squat with them as we would be fishing or whatever.
In some countries the people still squat to cook or squat around a fire. I'm sure Native Americans did a lot of squatting.

I think it's just one of those things that faded out like playing marbles or walking. People used to walk to church. Now they don't even walk to the mailbox.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The only photograph I ever saw of my Maternal Great Grandfather he was squatting. Traveling photographer came by and took a picture of the family. My Great Grandmother, Grandmother, and all my Aunts and Uncles were all dressed up in their best and they were in a group together standing out in front of the house. He was off to the side squatted down, holding his single shot rifle.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
It always amazed me how some of them old men could squat. I think some of that came from the way they would squat on top of the outhouse seat and later on ,even a commode. If I sat that way today, it would take someone to help me get stood back up.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I remember all my grannies chairs had real low seats in them. They were probably 5 or 6 inches lower than chairs are today. I felt like I was squatting when I sat in them, even as a young teenager.

GunnSmokeer

My knees don't like bending much, and my knees and leg muscles certainly don't like trying to rise from a squat position. I'd rather just plop my fat butt on the ground and sit cross-legged.

Artfuldodger

Maybe since they did it their whole lives they could still do it when they got older. It does appear the early pioneers and on to the farmers through the 30's weren't much overweight like most of us are today. That probably helped to squat.

Artfuldodger

When I was in high school I had pretty long hair as did all the boys. The owner of the rural store across from where I lived was always asking me if I had to squat to urinate. Implying that I must be a girl from my long hair. He didn't like our baggy jeans either as he said we were always traipsing mud in his store.

Artfuldodger

I remember all my grannies chairs had real low seats in them. They were probably 5 or 6 inches lower than chairs are today. I felt like I was squatting when I sat in them, even as a young teenager.

Not related but that reminded me of Admiral Rickover cutting the front two legs off the chair that the new applicants had their interviews in. Just to mess with them and make them even more uncomfortable than they already were.

BriarPatch99

When I was in high school I had pretty long hair as did all the boys. The owner of the rural store across from where I lived was always asking me if I had to squat to urinate. Implying that I must be a girl from my long hair. He didn't like our baggy jeans either as he said we were always traipsing mud in his store.
Old Quincy was a mess ....

Havana Dude

My guess is it was a way of relief from back pain. I get the stink eye from time to time myself. I’ll be standing there talking to you, my back will start to hurt and I will squat down for a short period.

JWT

Had a older feller that my dad would let fish his pond , lake full of fish , he would catch 2 for supper say thanks & leave ., squatting the whole time for hrs , he said they had to in ww2, he was squatting all the time if he wasn't working

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I squat or take a knee to stretch the muscles in my legs and to relieve back pain from work or long hikes. I'd imagine the old timers did it for the same reasons. People have gotten too fat and lazy to squat nowadays.

someguyintraffic

My grand dad was a farm chillen. Worked the tobacco and cotton before Army Air Force service during WW2. B17 mechanic. A fine man. Miss him still. Probably ten years old in 2nd pic picking a six string as my great grand dad smoked his pipe.

Attachments

• 0702180036a.jpg
    0702180036a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 36
  • FB_IMG_1530506445339.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530506445339.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35

someguyintraffic

They did do some sqautting. Or you could just lay down and pose in your Sunday best

Attachments

• 0702180048_Burst01.jpg
    0702180048_Burst01.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 56
  • 0702180048.jpg
    0702180048.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0702180047.jpg
    0702180047.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 58

onedude

People on average back then were a lot lighter and in a lot better shape. I think it rested some of their leg muscles.

onedude

A long time ago at work we had a piece equipment from over seas. Several of the men from their company had came over to inspect it. We had it on the floor in the shop and they were all squatted around it. They went in the office. We decided to put it on the work table so they didn't have to squat, then we went to lunch. When we came back they were all up on the table squatted around it.

Doug
Jn.3:16