Father's Day Smallmouths on the Fly

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I made the long journey of several hundred yards down to the river behind the house and flung a fly for an hour or two this morning. The river is still some high and a little off-color, but the fish were hitting some.

river1.jpg

river2.jpg

Didn't catch any whoppers, but I landed about 20 fun-sized smallies. Any size smallmouth is a hoot on a fly rod. usually the first thing they do when you set the hook is burrow to the bottom, then launch straight out of the water like a Polaris missle. The river fish are strong, and put up a great fight in the current.

smallie1.jpg

smallie2.jpg

smallie3.jpg

smallie4.jpg

This one looks like he barely escaped from something with a lot of big, sharp teeth-maybe an otter:

skintsmallie.jpg

Also caught a few bonus redbreast and rock bass:

redbreast.jpg

rockbass.jpg

All in all, a pretty relaxing way to spend a couple hours.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Had to be fun!!!!!

gunnurse

After gettin over hating you a little for this post, I realized that this trip had to be a load of fun. Happy Fathers’ Day.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Dang that looks awesome. Never fished where small mouth live. Get's me wantin to ease off to the pond and chunk the fly for some bluegill tho

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After gettin over hating you a little for this post, I realized that this trip had to be a load of fun. Happy Fathers’ Day.
"Trip" is a stretch. I can about throw a rock into the river from the end of my driveway. :)

gunnurse

That’s what’s so sad about this for me. I need to move northeast.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Great pics and beautiful fish as always!

Buckman18

Looks like a lot of fun! I live a couple hundred yards from the upper Chattahoochee between Helen and Lake Lanier. We have a very similar bass to a smallie called a shoal bass. They are a ton of fun and fight the same as a smallmouth, and are phenomenal table fare. We get some token trout, but mainly shoal bass, spots, and some stripers where I live.

Bream Pole

you live in paradise beautiful fish