Feb. means crankbaits on Lanier

Scout'nStripers

Last year in early Jan. I was invited out with a GON writer to do an article with my 10 best waypoints for Feb. using a crankbait for staging bass. We did the article and I couldn't say enough about how good the crankbait bite is in Feb. on Lanier and how your biggest bass will stage on rocky secondary points during this time. We did the article and it turned out very nice with a lot of good info on cranking.
Early in the month of Feb. I got on a good a-rig bite and I was catching some good sacks just in time for the flw bulldog tourney on Lanier. Just the day before the tourney I caught a 16lb sack on the a-rig so I was convinced I was going to be in the money again. A couple of years earlier I finished in the money by throwing a craw colored crankbait all day but I was locked onto the a-rig. I was like a dog rolling on a dear carcass with that a-rig, I couldn't put it down. Long story short, tournament day came and I threw the a-rig all day for two little fish while a good friend of mine won the tournament throwing a crankbait. After all the bragging I did on Lanier and the crankbait bite in Feb. I pull a bonehead stunt like that. I guess the moral of the story is to throw the dang crankbait in Feb!!!

Water temps have shot up over the last few days and I saw temps close to the mid 50's yesterday. The lake level is now less than a foot above full pool and the Corps is back to generating all day.

The fish are pulling up shallow right now with this warmer weather and the crankbaits are working well. Here's a couple nice fish I caught yesterday and the crankbait I was using.
2.5.jpgayu2.jpg

littlejon

Nice catches! I found 56 at one location yesterday. A lot of patterns producing right now. Tight lines

Rabun

Good reflection and insight there! Nice catches Scoutin! If you're fishing the tourney this year, good luck! I think I saw it is in a couple of weeks?

Scout'nStripers

Good reflection and insight there! Nice catches Scoutin! If you're fishing the tourney this year, good luck! I think I saw it is in a couple of weeks?
Thanks Rabun. It is 2 weeks away and the Bassmaster elites will be here next weekend. Should be a busy Feb. on the lake.

Jonboater

Great info jim, going to burn some cranks on allatoona next week. Gota love feeling them load up on that crankbait.