Federal 3rd Degree

swamppirate

Looking to get any feedback on this load.... I like the duplex load and the 2 ounces of shot.

fountain

There's better options. I would look into the hevi shot magnum blend or the nitro blends. Nitro has been around for a long time and pioneered the duplex and tripled shot combos. I personally am not a fan of mixing lead and heavyweight in the same loads

deast1988

I've shot nitro 4x6x7, 5x6x7, 6x7, and striaght 7s.

Nitros pattern wicked.

They have an economy load of like 5 lead by hevi shot 7s.

I couldn't get 3rd degree to pattern near as good as heavyweight 7s.

Nitros cost more but they've worked great for me in the past.

fountain

do you have a 20 ga gun you could use for turkeys?
with the introduction of commercially loaded tss, there's no way I would shoot a 3.5 again. before tss, nitros ruled the roost for the baddest loads available. they came with a price though..and I don't mean the cost. the shoulder punishment was terrible with them, but they would pattern great and I was after the best patterns I could get and the most energy to kill reliably at 50 yards

TomC

Longbeard XR with a matching Trulock Longbeard XR choke equals DEVASTATION out of my 12 gauge SX3. Not that expensive either!

chase870

Possum Sox
Pattern your gun with different loads. Mine likes 2OZ of #5 lead federal without the flight control wad. It patterns so well I have never tried anything else. I bought a flat of these shells so I'm good till I die, can no longer hunt, or have to shoot a smaller gauge gun. For me I look for the best pattern at 40 yards. I prefer to kill my birds up close and personal, nothing like calling him in

TomC

It's MUCH more than just the ammo these days. The choke you use is as important as the ammo and the better choke mfg's like Trulock, Sumtoy and some others are building chokes to marry not only with certain ammo types (i.e Winchester Longbeard, Federal Heavy Weight, Hevi-Shot, etc) but also to match the specific load size. Don't just go buy a choke that's labeled "turkey" or "extra full", has a picture of a turkey on the package, or because the guy at basspro said it's a goodun!! Just because a choke is "ported" and looks pretty doesn't mean that it is a good turkey choke.......which is actually the case with some of the specific turkey loads. Much better off non-ported in most cases.

Spend some time over on the olgobbler.com forum. Those guys are diehards and you can learn a lot in a hurry about which choke / ammo combo's produce the best patterns with the shotgun you are using.

The mtn man

Longbeard XR with a matching Trulock Longbeard XR choke equals DEVASTATION out of my 12 gauge SX3. Not that expensive either!

I agree, but we had better buy them up, Winchester has a bad habit of discontinuing a good thing , like the old XRs.