Ffg or fffg

panfish

Is it ok to use pyrodx fffg in my 54 hawken and if use 90gr ffg is 90gr fffg the the same. I know this is dumb question but i had some fffg given to me.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Is it ok to use pyrodx fffg in my 54 hawken and if use 90gr ffg is 90gr fffg the the same. I know this is dumb question but i had some fffg given to me.

Yes you can use it, no it is not the same. You need to look up the recommended loads/grains for your rifle for FFF powder vs. FF powder. FFF Uses LESS than FF. If you cannot find it on line then contact the manufacturer and they will usually send a free Owner's Manual.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
FF is intended for rifles,FFF is intended for pistols and Flint Lock flash pans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're using Pyrodex, Pyrodex RS (rifle and shotgun) is what you want.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
FF is intended for rifles,FFF is intended for pistols and Flint Lock flash pans.

FFFF is what I use in my pan, not FFF. You can use FFF in a rifle (which is what I use). You just have to use LESS.

tv_racin_fan

Generally with FFFg instead of FFg one uses about 10% less powder. So if you are using 90 grains FFg then I would try 80 grains of FFFg and adjust as needed.

bowsmith

I used to use 80 grains of FFFg Pyrdodex in my T/C .54 Hawken behind a 435 grain Maxi-Hunter bullet. Shot great!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A 54 caliber rifle needs FFg powder. Who is the company that made the rifle?

hawgrider1200

I have a book about loading and shooting muzzleloaders. It is an old booki and doesn't have any info on inline ignitions. However the only difference between percussion cap shooting and inine shooting is the primer is different and the hole where the primer fire gets into the charge is in a different place. My book sez ffg for 50 cal and up. fffg for rifles less than 50 cal and ffffg in flash pans. Pyrodex is supposed to be the equivelent of BP. Use that advice, sell me ur fffg cheap and u can buy more ffg for ur rifle.

killitgrillit

Hawg and Nic are correct,
you need to be using FFG in the 54cal
You can use FFFG in a 50cal and smaller

panfish

It's a c.v.a. i used fffg in my 50 and it shot great with no misfires well a couple times in the rain.If you say dont use it in my 54 i won't.thanks for all the info

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Pan, a 50 caliber is the mid point between the two powders. Anything smaller than 50 uses FFFg. Anything larger, uses FFg. The 50, itself, can use either one. That depends on the actual rifle. I have tried both powders in both my rifles and although the difference is almost negligible, they like FFFg better. In a pinch, I have also primed the pan on my flintlock with FFFg, with no problems.

Good luck with your rifle, and keep us posted on your results.

I've use 3f for main charge and prime. Can't be any faster than 4f, not so's you can tell the diff. anyway.4f turns to sludge when it's damp or high humidity.

Flintrock

90 grains of fffg in a54 cal is like putting 120 grains of powder in a area ment for 90 grains of ffg.
Think of it like a bow and arrow. You are shooting a 120 pound bow pull using a arrow with a 90 pound spine strength

SASS249

No real reason you can not use FFFG in a 54. I have one 54 that shoots best with FFFG and likewise a 50 that shoots best with FFG. Point is you have to spend the time developing a load, reading patches etc. There are only a few really hard and fast rules about these old guns, most everything else is more a general guideline and it is up to you to figure out what works best in your situation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've been told by the old-timer BP shooters I know, FFFg will build up more pressure than FFG, so if you use it in a big-caliber rifle you need to use considerably less of it than you would FFG for safety's sake. Never tried shooting FFFg in my .50 or my .54 myself, so I dunno.