Fiber Optic Sights or Red Dot?

QuackAttack101

I've been using the truglo gobble dot fiber optics, but they're flimsy and don't seem to last. Putting my gun in the case is too much for them sometimes. I know a lot of people use a red dot, but I'm worried I'll forget to turn it off and it'll be dead when I'm trying to shoot one or I'll forget to turn it on until the turkey is in range. Haven't ruled out a red dot but would prefer fiber optics, just not the truglo.

Anyone use the williams fire sight fiber optics? Pros? Cons? How durable are they?

Red dot pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

buckpasser

Red dot. Here’s the things I like:

1)You can see the entire head/neck when shooting not just the top half of the Tom.
2)Easy to fine tune POA/POI
3)Will eliminate the dreaded “not cheeked down” close range miss

1x power red dots only! (just in case you need to take a clean up running or flying shot it’s easy as pie). Magnification is not needed and not helpful. As for batteries, I’ve never experienced a booboo there in ten years of using them. I like Truglo and Burris and always keep spare batteries in the pack just in case. I think trijicon makes a battery free model.

Mark K

Banned
I prefer a red dot...after I tried it. Kept bumping my other sights off somehow. Been using a FFIII for 2-3 years now, changed the batteries last year just cause I figured they might need it, lol. I turn it on when I leave the truck in the morning and turn it off whenever I get back to the truck. My advice is to take it bird hunting and practice that way with it. Actually shot ducks with mine...and killed some. It’s sorta a learning curve because my cheek isn’t down as far as it would be with a regular bead or sight.
After using one, I can’t see how I did it without one.

QuackAttack101

Thanks guys. Didn't know the battery life would be that good on them. Y'all got me leaning towards a red dot now. Decisions, decisions

Darkhorse

Fiber Optics came with my Maxus special purpose. Don't know the brand but these work good. Nothing moves when it's sighted in, real tough sights. This is the easiest balancing and carrying option.
I also have a Aimpoint SC9000 red dot. The battery is good for 10,000 hours or so. I like this one as it doesn't block any of the bird. Problem is it sits too high, I need to get a cheek riser pad for this one. With your face mostly off the stock you really know it when you touch off a 3.5" Magnum shell.
What I like the most is an old Simmons 1X turkey scope with a diamond rangefinder. It's rode on 2 Turkey special shotguns and has taken some nice birds.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I'll start by saying that I purchased a BPS 12 last week and ordered a choke that should be here today. I began shooting the Long Beard shell several years ago and feel that the POI and POA will need to be fine tuned. It was that way with my other turkey thumper. I put fiber optic rifle sights on that one. It is a 100% dedicated turkey gun. I am not sure I want to dedicate this new gun 100%. What is out there that could be easily removed or used for moving game?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Burris red dot on my Mossberg SA20. Helps my old eyes see better. Fiber optics hid the bird from me. Probably need glasses
Jeff

buckpasser

I'll start by saying that I purchased a BPS 12 last week and ordered a choke that should be here today. I began shooting the Long Beard shell several years ago and feel that the POI and POA will need to be fine tuned. It was that way with my other turkey thumper. I put fiber optic rifle sights on that one. It is a 100% dedicated turkey gun. I am not sure I want to dedicate this new gun 100%. What is out there that could be easily removed or used for moving game?

I like wing shooting with a red dot. Especially large critters like puddle ducks and geese. You can eat their lunch.

buckpasser

I have 2 Burris FF3 and a few truglos. The Truglo has a very flat reflective surface that appears more forgiving. It just looks like a window with a floating red dot. The Burris has a prism effect and need to be mounted a little further down the barrel to not become an issue. The auto brightness reature is a luxury but not a necessity with the FF3.

ol bob

Once you get some age on you a red dot is the greatest thing since white bread.

nick_o_demus

I'm making the move to a red dot this year on one of my guns. I bought a fast fire 3 and custom mount for my 870 from the guys at Sumtoy. I should have it back by next week. For me the quick sight acquisition is what I'm most looking forward to. Secondly, the auto adjust brightness setting on the FF3 make me more comfortable in any lighting situation, bright or dark. I currently have gun at the gunsmith to have the receiver tapped. The Sumtoy mount, for me, was much better choice than a picatinny rail, as its lower height allows me to keep a better cheek weld on the stock. Going to pair it with an Indian Creek choke and some Apex TSS and see how she does.

chrislibby88

Trijicon and meprolight make battery free red dot sights, they aren’t cheap though. If you are super worried about batteries you can always pony up and buy an Aimpoint. Most of their sights have 5+ year always-on battery life, so you can just leave it on even in the safe.