Field Butchering

Ghost G

I leave the pelvic bone in place and cut the ham from it with a regular skinning knife removing the ham with the ball of the hip attached, I cut off feet/paws at wrists/ankles and the skull from the spine with the lopper, I know it can be done with a knife but you can make all five necessary cuts in as many seconds with the lopper

This is my method except I'll take the skull off with a knife. I'll use the looper if I need to make a second trip to the truck and bring it back.

greg_n_clayton

If you are going to carry a saw be sure and get the ribs. They are by far the best part of a bear. You can also get them out with a sharp hatchet.
You are absoulutly correct !!

I'm gonna ask a stupid question here.... since I hunt wma's I was under the impression that you had to keep the bear whole till checked. I've always wondered how a man could drag a 450 pound bear out. I've also heard the gallbladder was prized by some for medicinal purposes.
In the state of Georgia, it's illegal to buy, sell or trade any part of a bear. You may possess it, that's all.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Make sure the tree you tie too is alive. :)

I tied the rope around the back leg of a bull elk. Started cranking on the rope to pull the leg up. Pulled the tree right down on top of me.