Field Trials

TAS

I have a one year old dog that I would like to run in field trials. Trying to get an idea of what is typical of dogs between 1-2, 2-3 years ect in terms of what titles/points they should accrue. I've never been to a trial so extremely new to this. Thanks.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
What kind of dog do you have??

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You will be doing hunt tests with ukc.....not field trials. Ukc.....started, seasoned, and hunting retriever champion are the hunt test titles you can attain. Started.....single retrieves on land and water not much emphasis on line manners. Seasoned......double marks, simple blind retrieves. Important for dog not to break. HRCH.....triples, more complicated blinds, perfect line manners, a little trickery thrown in here and there

Last edited:
Field trials are AKC events and are different from a hunt test

TAS

Yes, hunt tests. Learning terminology still. Would you expect a dog between 1-2 to do seasoned or just some started tests. I read that you can get points for two started tests. Thanks.

flatsmaster

You won't be able to pass a AKC Sr test or a UKC seasoned test unless ur dog can handle blind retrieves at a minimal distance and steady at line as well as retrieve doubles to hand in land and water ... if u go to each website under there hunt rules u can see what's expected of dog to pass ... good luck

flatsmaster

Age of dog doesn't matter ... what it's skill set is would determine what class you'd want to run in my opinion

Water Swat

There are several coming up in georgia through the next month. Id go to one of them and watch all the stakes. Talk to folks. Dont camp out at started all day. Go to all of them. You'll have fun. Look on the HRC website for test schedules. New club in Northwest georgia has their first test in 2 weeks. Then middle georgia hrc is a couple weeks aftet that.

Before hunt test a good qualifying dog was considered a good level for a hunting dog

Kline2054

The age is not as much of a factor as is what the dog knows how to do. What training has the dog accomplished thus far?

TAS

He had six months of training. Should be no problem for started. He was about midway through casting so not yet ready to run any blind retrieves. Going to send him back in Dec for that so hoping to be able to do seasoned in Spring.

flatsmaster

Good luck ... If u hunt I'd keep ur pup and hunt it and start back after season and let dog have some fun ... transition to handling is slow and steady work... my dog loves to retrieve but handling was like English homework she'd do it but not thrilled about it ... she just finished her HRCH title this wk end at SOWEGA test !!! It's a marathon not a sprint so enjoy the journey... good luck

Cavalry Scout

Sorry for jumping here but, can a dog that is not UKC do hunt trials? I have a BSS Boykin and I like the idea of testing against a standard and not other dogs.

krazybronco2

Sorry for jumping here but, can a dog that is not UKC do hunt trials? I have a BSS Boykin and I like the idea of testing against a standard and not other dogs.
yes you can, but to get points and a title they do have be registered with the UKC for HRC hunt tests. if your dog is registered with the BSS it should not be to difficult to get your dog registered with the UKC.

Water Swat

Just go to the ukc site and dowload the single dog registration form. Youll need your bss registration and a pedigree. I think 3 generations. Its not hard but ukc is usually the slowest.