Finally going to get that cold snap

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
The cold is arriving in middle Georgia on Thursday night/Friday morning. I've got to get the well heat lamp ready, the faucets wrapped, the pool pump and pipes covered, and some extra firewood stacked by the house. Won't be a white Christmas but it's going to be a sho' nuff cold one!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
The cold is arriving in middle Georgia on Thursday night/Friday morning. I've got to get the well heat lamp ready, the faucets wrapped, the pool pump and pipes covered, and some extra firewood stacked by the house. Won't be a white Christmas but it's going to be a sho' nuff cold one!
GON be cold down here too. I'm wondering what's best for the pool pump. Maybe leave it running on low throughout the coldest hours?

Redbow

Yeah going to be a few cold days here on the NC coast as well. Temps Saturday morning in the upper teens and then again on Christmas day. Monday continued to be cold weather but we need a cold spell we have not had one in quite some time. Rain tonight and tomorrow I do hope we get it the dry weather continues here. Stoke up the fireplace and throw another quilt on the bed. Wind gusts in our area come Friday up to 40 mph or above.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
GON be cold down here too. I'm wondering what's best for the pool pump. Maybe leave it running on low throughout the coldest hours?
Mine comes on automagically when it gets below 36 but I take the extra precaution of covering the pipes with a heavy movers blanket. Being that it's going to be extra cold, I may put a tarp over the whole thing with a lamp under there just to make sure nothing freezes.

basstrkr

If you need to buy a lamp ya better get gon cause there ain't many left or bulbs!! to tew too two

Lilly001

I’m at my place in Fl for Christmas.
It’s supposed to get down to the mid 30’s so I’m getting the electric blanket out.
Pool pump will do its normal thing.

Doug B.

I’m at my place in Fl for Christmas.
It’s supposed to get down to the mid 30’s so I’m getting the electric blanket out.
Pool pump will do its normal thing.
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
It's going to get in the mid 30's and your going to get the electric blanket out???
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry! I shouldn't have done that! It's just that it is going to be in the single digits here (or below) and our ceiling fan will still be on high in our bedroom!!! No electric blanket needed!!!

You do what you need to so you are comfortable. I'm just messing with you!

Doug B.

How cold is it supposed to be there? We have had below freezing temperatures here since back in November. Also having lived here all my life I kinda know how to prepare for it.

I can leave a bottle of water in my truck overnight and the temperature get down in the lower 20's and the bottle of water won't be froze. Pipes in a house won't freeze if there is no heat on unless it gets really, really cold. Like the highs in the 20's for three or four days.

I said all that to just give you an idea how long it would take to freeze. If I were you in Florida I wouldn't worry about the pool. You do what makes you feel comfortable about it though.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Colder than a polar bears toenails here along the coast! Rainy too!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
@Doug B., yeah, believe it or not, here in N. Fl we get some seriously cold weather from time to time. I know it takes hours of below freezing temps to burst water pipes.
This is the 1st really cold we've gotten since we put in the pool though.
Screenshot_20221221-204014_AccuWeather.jpg

Doboy Dawg

Run the pool pumps through the night, same thing with well pumps. It doesn’t get real cold here in SE Ga. too often.

Last year I didn’t winterize my camper. This summer I spent a few hundred dollars replacing pumps and fixtures that busted!, my fault. It’s cheaper to run the pumps than replace them.