Finally got a few sets out

mossyoakpro

I'll have to try it...I'll rework sets again in the morning I'm sure. We got another downpour this evening. I may yank them in a few days if I don't start connecting and hope the rain holds off some later on this season.

I started using screen covers this year because of the rain and it helps but I still have traps uncovered after a heavy rain. Better than polyfill for sure right now. I using all dogless traps right now too...the screen sure fits on them good but I miss using my MB's

oldguy

I have a good friend who got his picture on the cover of the Trapper magazine back in the 80s proudly holding up Brer Possum ,and proclaiming the title of Possum King!
You guys are in the running though :) !
I've always thought it was interesting how you can walk along and see coyote tracks, coon tracks, fox tracks, cat tracks, but nary a possum track. Then set a trap and he's the first customer to show up.

mossyoakpro

Another coon for me this morning...pulled all my legholds for now. Hopefully the monsoon season will ease up sometime soon. I will put a few more dp's out tomorrow on my check so I can hopefully increase my coon killer tally.

Mark K

Banned
Well I went to my property in Albany and pulled all 4 footholds and DP’s. Ended on a good note...first fox in 35 years, lol. Haven’t caught one since I was 15.
After 2 weeks of trapping that little property I ended up with 1 coyote, 1 fox, 2 bobcats, and 3 coons. Not professional grade, but I’ll take it.

Time to hit the plantation a little harder.
188895F3-EC0C-4B3E-9035-067539D428BE.png42C8D396-94B4-4590-A047-97514B76F236.png725BFB91-8497-4368-882B-751E9DAA144D.png

Mark K

Banned
Caught the fox in the same trap/set I caught the first bobcat in. Caught the bobcat in a compass set and remade it as a Pipe Dream Set. There was nothing for backing so I dug up a little clump of broomsedge and placed it behind/over the pipe. When I re-bedded the trap, I dug a little trench for the chain and just moved the trap over about 6-8”. I found a rock that was already on site and placed it where the original bed was. Used a couple more rocks and a small stick or two to keep something from coming in the backside. Sorta had my doubts, but apparently it worked.

mossyoakpro

Awesome catch! I may give that pipe dream set a whirl...I have a few places with grass that I might can keep outta the water. For now I'm happy knocking out the turkey killers...tight chains and Happy New Year!!

oldguy

Beautiful red fox. Never been very many in SOWEGA, even fewer now with coyotes.
They were plentiful in the Clarke, Jackson County area in the 1970s B.C. (Before Coyotes). One of the best reasons to not like coyotes! Back then a prime red fox sold for $55.00, now they're virtually worthless. Sad.

Mark K

Banned
Pulled all my sets at both properties last Monday, couldn’t stand not having anything in the ground, so I went and reset my property where I’d been catching the most.
Made this set yesterday and this was waiting for me this morning.C850518E-1265-4E12-B923-24A6D827D3AB.jpegA53862A6-4B55-4907-B38C-5540A7CA72F0.jpeg76187E24-3B5C-4DA8-8A45-CE55F3CD13F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts