Finally got a few sets out

Mark K

Banned
Got a cam on a couple sets and nothing at 0530 check then about daylight something clogs my trap...not so bad except at 1050 here comes a coyote and checks out what clogged my set!!! He then took the road to the right instead of coming on down the road where an empty set was. Hopefully he’ll be back this week.
We’re going to try and get some burning done over the next few days now that we have some dry weather and sunshine. Hopefully I’ll have enough time to get some more sets in the ground.

johnq85

Nice cool morning, very wet checking this morning though especially since I have to walk a portion of my line. Caught a big fat goose egg today. I think tonight is going to be a good night.

mossyoakpro

This could be the one who took a dump on my trap...this set was 100 yards from that one. She had her boyfriend with her, I saw his tracks leaving the scene. Maybe tomorrow....

Attachments

• IMG_20190305_085604.jpg
    IMG_20190305_085604.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 21

Mark K

Banned
Wouldn’t you know, didn’t go check first thing and the manager sends me videos, lol!!
I got up at 0445 and it was flooding rain. I figured I’m getting off at 1100 to go help burn so I’ll just check on my way in to get the 4-wheeler. So about 0700 I sent the manager a text and told him my plans. He said don’t worry about it, I’m gonna go check mine about 0830 and I’ll see if I see anything.
Well about 0845 I get a pic of him going past my camera. About 10 minutes later my phone dings for a message but I was too busy to even look at it. Then my phone rings, “Hey man what do you want me to do with it?” I had to ask do with what and he said I sent you a video. I looked real quick and realized I’d caught a coyote. I told him to go ahead and dispatch it and I’d pick it up. 5 minutes later my phone dings again. He sent another video and asked, “Dispatch?” I was like heck yes!!
Those sets have been sitting since last Monday!! The one with the turkey feather hanging was a double dirt hole with a trap between the two about 10” back dead center. The other was also a dirthole but more blended. I had dug up some broomsedge from an unburned area and transplanted it right over the hole, well about half was covering the hole.
The traps were about 100+/- yards from each other. One had roadkill turkey and the other had Hiawatha Valley. One had bobcat pee and the other had Coyote Mag-P I think.
Guess that front had them moving last night. And both were females!!D9FCB9E9-E847-4AFF-A0B2-52F11B69C954.png5EF3506A-89F0-4F35-813F-EC94267F11B4.png

Mark K

Banned
Yeah, someone said they always did good on the airstrip, lol.
One up from the Monument where the feed trail crosses and one about 100yds or so up the hill towards the pond.
Thanks for the advice.

mossyoakpro

Good job Mark!! Shame you didn't get to see them in person...I love to see them bouncing!!

Ol' Gobblero

Thought I recognized it. There will be more. Dont be scared to set on the edge of those catch circles after a coyote catch. Sometimes they won’t commit to the circle, but will dive into a well blended set on the edge. Keep it up.

Mark K

Banned
Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
My first double on coyotes!! What’s really cool is I had a camera there. Saw it go down as I was getting ready! First was at 0448 second one was at 0505!
Male and female.
One on a blended dirthole and one on a Pipe Dream Set. Neither was going anywhere!
Caught at corner of Easy and Monument...Gobblero

056BAC1B-5778-4DB6-8BEC-D8F9BD69801A.jpeg23C80A7F-0EC9-4F01-82DB-80654EAF135C.jpegAF2834C1-719A-48DF-812C-DF79795D20C9.jpeg

johnq85

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
My first double on coyotes!! What’s really cool is I had a camera there. Saw it go down as I was getting ready! First was at 0448 second one was at 0505!
Male and female.
One on a blended dirthole and one on a Pipe Dream Set. Neither was going anywhere!
Caught at corner of Easy and Monument...Gobblero

View attachment 961378View attachment 961379View attachment 961380

You are killing it! I haven’t checked mine yet today. Now I’m wishing I got up early.
Congrats

Mark K

Banned
This is a new well blended set outside the catch circle. Used the same pipe for a small dab of lure in it. And this is what happens.3B171C5C-B092-405E-9733-7672BCC50FA8.jpegAnd if I was a betting guy, I’d bet a dozen chocolate covered creme filled doughnuts she tripped my trap!!
E8CD5901-F7D0-4CF5-81AF-DDFFA6905BCF.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
This is why I trap. The gobbler is about dead even where the far coyote is in the picture of the double. The camera is facing the truck.
5EE2FD50-54FE-4A83-8109-3B05A6C2C619.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
A huge male this morning! He danced when I drove up, but wouldn’t dance for me when I got out. This set was caddy corner from where I caught my first coyote. I was starting to wonder if it was even functionable, lol. This is the third down what they call the Airstrip and also my biggest yet.32C65EA4-3A83-488C-A86C-4CE9751B57D3.jpeg3ECAA64A-DEAF-490C-93C3-1D034FFEB652.jpegA554E774-9B15-4796-8A80-3A9248FECDC0.jpeg

mossyoakpro

On day 10 my scent post finally pays off! I pulled everything today because I am just tired of slopping around in the mud...it's suppose to start raining AGAIN tomorrow :(

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_100113.jpg
    IMG_20190308_100113.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 5

Mark K

Banned
On day 10 my scent post finally pays off! I pulled everything today because I am just tired of slopping around in the mud...it's suppose to start raining AGAIN tomorrow :(

The trap I caught one on this morning has sat lonely for 12 straight days before it was paid a visit!
This week has been on fire. Those colder temps and no moon has had them moving. I’ve caught something every day this week except Monday I believe.

mossyoakpro

The trap I caught one on this morning has sat lonely for 12 straight days before it was paid a visit!
This week has been on fire. Those colder temps and no moon has had them moving. I’ve caught something every day this week except Monday I believe.

I had a good 10 days...there was something in a trap every morning. The landowner was tickled. I would have stayed with it but my truck already has at least 200 lbs of mud on it, under it, and everywhere in between and I just need a break. I don't know that I have ever used 4wd as much as the last month. It's ridiculously wet and rain is coming again....unless I get a real sweet offer for a paying trapping job I'm done until next year. Time to watch some turkeys go see their maker!!

Tight chains all!!!