Finally got a few sets out

Mark K

Banned
Have had a catch every morning since the Full Moon jinx was broken. A coyote Thursday a couple of critters Friday, another critter Saturday and this young female this morning. A really good latter part of the week.
Caught her on a Pipe Dream Set. She got the pipe out of the ground, but it was after she was caught, lol. She gnawed the heck out of it. Beat it back down and remade the set!
We saved our bobcat carcasses and basically butchered them. I have bags of bobcat chunks that I’ll use in the pipe and down dirtholes. Just label the bags real good so the wife doesn’t think it’s stew meat, lol!! I’m guessing freezing them won’t hurt and will even last until next season.
E5986EAE-4FA0-45DF-B5D4-5729F860E558.jpeg2BD35EC1-6E10-4311-867A-B41BC602199E.jpegCB028FA8-26FF-4688-99CF-77C76E240D21.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
This past week was S L O W for catches, maybe a couple critters all week.
Pulled some sets today and put some new ones down in others areas that I haven’t hit yet. It seems I have the North side of the property knocked back, time to work on the South side.
On a good note, we’ve heard more gobbles over the last 2 weekends than we’ve heard in the last 2 years.

Mark K

Banned
Well this week started out with a couple of critters and has been dead since. Still got burning going on and some other activities near the traps so hoping that has something to do with it. It’s like the critters are hibernating or moved on. Gonna leave the sets out a couple more weeks then trip when I head out of country for a bit.
Maybe May will be better.

Mark K

Banned
Well ended the week with only 3 catches. Very slow week.
Manager has been getting some coyote pics in an area I can’t get too easily checking during the morning so he had me put a couple sets in front of his cell cam and he will monitor them for me. Told him just check, take pics, dispatch, and I’ll remake the sets after catches.
Hoping eventually they’ll turn back on.

fountain

Mark, what type of sets are you primarily using now and what bait/lure will you go to with things warming up? This is my first season trapping and the ground I'm on has never been messed with as far as traps go. I'm planning to get a fee sets out soon. I've got a creek crossing that coyotes and a bobcat or two are using pretty good and I need them gone. They are hit and miss recently though. A few weeks ago the coyote was fairly consistent with a nightly crossing

Mark K

Banned
Still using bobcat meat as bait, but the ants are starting to become a problem.
They aren’t as bad with the commercial baits yet.
I’ll eventually switch to a gland lure and just urine. I’ve gotten away from fox pee and just use bobcat and coyote urine now. Deer will walk miles to destroy my sets when I use fox pee, lol.
Also started following advice given on one of the other threads and started bedding with peat moss and they survive this crazy weather as good as steel screen with less tripped traps. I’ll put 2 sets at just about every location now. One dirt hole and one of either a pipe or blind set.

mossyoakpro

Mark, what type of sets are you primarily using now and what bait/lure will you go to with things warming up? This is my first season trapping and the ground I'm on has never been messed with as far as traps go. I'm planning to get a fee sets out soon. I've got a creek crossing that coyotes and a bobcat or two are using pretty good and I need them gone. They are hit and miss recently though. A few weeks ago the coyote was fairly consistent with a nightly crossing

I have had good luck in the warm months with liquid baits....that ants do not have anything to get because it soaks into the ground. Good luck!!

Mark K

Banned
So...anyone catching/killing/seeing any coyotes? Seems like I make a set based on sign or pics and they disappear, lol.

280 Man

Banned
So...anyone catching/killing/seeing any coyotes? Seems like I make a set based on sign or pics and they disappear, lol.

I live in an area where the coyotes are not a big problem, yet anyway, however in some parts of the state they are. I know they start getting harder to catch the later it gets but as far as I' concerned it's worth the effort and sweat!!!!

With that said I do get a a few pics from time to time. The last pics I got were back in Jan until 2 weeks ago. After getting that pic I relocated a few traps and found this in my trap.

IMO, with the fawning season just around the corner now is the time to have traps "in the ground".

20190408_090331_resized (1).jpg

Mark K

Banned
Got plenty in the ground and learned what could possibly be hindering some catches. There is a artist/photographer staying for a few weeks and apparently roaming the entire property daily. The manager told her traps were in the ground and some were marked. She asked about the unmarked ones and he told her she’d know if she stepped in one, lol. He was hoping that would keep her close, but apparently it didn’t work.

Mark K

Banned
Finally!! Placed this set 4 weeks ago! It was tripped early last week by a K9, not sure what happened but I reset it and relured hoping for the best. The best was waiting for me this morning! First coyote for the month of April. What’s cool is I found an old stump in a field right next to this set and thought that would make a great backing/urine stump. Made my day!!!
02E1333C-F634-46BC-905C-5885A2B77CF8.jpeg7CF43548-F704-44C1-9E32-F077F2DFE66F.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
Thank God the photographer left today!! No more human scent left everywhere, lol! Maybe I can get a catch or two before tripping them all to head out of country.