Finished this one about 3am this morning...

bam_bam

hey nick / delton how are you guys hafting your points in your handles? do you use hide glue and pitch or what? also how are yall cuttin your slots. i just wander how the natives did it with just stone tools. yall got any examples?

Handgunner

I use a dremel to cut the notches into my antlers, and either use pitch glue or epoxy.

Nick does his all the way with pitch and real sinew.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Deltons right Bam Bam. In the past I have used hoof and hide glue, but in this high humidity it will get tacky.It`s still the only glue to use when you sinew back a bow though. You can make it two ways. Either boil deer hooves and rawhide scraps in just a little water for several hours, skimmin` the top occasionly till its thick, or you can mix 3 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelaton in 1\2 cup of cold water and bring to a boil, then take off the heat. Both these recipes make the same exact thing. You can use any flavor jello and follow these directions and make flavored hoof glue too! That`s all jello is! Any jello lovers out there?
It`s probably a good idea to make this glue outside, it don`t smell too good while it`s cookin`.:D

If you want to notch antler the way the Indians did, soak the antler in water for a day or two. While it`s soakin`, chip you out a burin out of a good piece of good raw flint. The antler will soften up and you can carve a notch in the end of it then.

bam_bam

that neat. any flavor jello, like the jello brand jello? you just cook it till it boils and the let it sit up?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Any of it will work, but use the Knox Unflavored Gelaton and go by the directions I posted above. It will start slowly hardenin` up so when it gets really tacky go ahead and use stick to gather it up on the end till is about big as a walnut. Keep usin` sticks to gather it on till the pot is empty. To reuse these glue sticks, just soak it in cold water till it`s soft enough to apply.

Don`t use one of your wifes better pots for this, it will never come clean again, so it will be your glue pot from now on.

Handgunner

Nick, so you mean that brand new non-stick pot I got for Jamie on Christmas, I have on the stove going right now won't be good no more????? :huh: :rofl: :banginhe :whip: :rofl:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You in a heap o` trouble Boy!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Handgunner

Uh oh.

Well, it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission... right? ::gone: :bounce:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Cal!! I`ll be in touch!

pendy

Delton

nice work.:banana: :banana: :banana:

bam_bam

nick you a bowyer too? you said about backing a bow an i wuzz justa wanderin

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bam Bam, I know the fundamentals of bow-makin` and have set in on hundreds of hours while some of my friends made them, but chasin` a growth ring, tillerin`, and all the fine points of shapin` a bow is mean work to me. A good friend of mine has a select osage stave he`s holdin` onto for me and says that he will not stop aggravatin` me till I make a bow out of it. One day I will give in a make it so he will leave me alone!! Arrows and atlatl darts are another thing though, I like makin` them.

bam_bam

yeah know all about makin arrows and such, i just need to get me a bow. i would like to have a hickory or osage. but cant find anyone to show me the skill.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
HEY DELTON, I`m still waitin` on that Tallahassee..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hurryup!!! While I`m still young! :whip: :whip: :whip:

Handgunner

:bounce:

Nick, I'm still learnin'.... patience son..... patience! :rofl: