First attemps at etouffee

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
That looks durn good, Blood. Having worked in Louisanastan for nine months, I fell in love with etouffee. My first was a crawfish etouffee, and I have been an addict since that night.

I had Muffalata and etouffee every day for lunch for almost nine months...If you would have cut me open, I would have bled a rice and olive roux. :bounce:
I want to make a muffalata also.. I love sammiches that soak up all the juices like that!

Dub

Thank y'all kindly

Man, please.....you done flung a craving on me the moment I saw your étouffée.

It kicked up my New Orleans wants !!!!

Yesterday's grilled chicken leftovers yielded themselves wonderfully for todays chicken & sausage gumbo.

That looks durn good, Blood. Having worked in Louisanastan for nine months, I fell in love with etouffee. My first was a crawfish etouffee, and I have been an addict since that night.

I had Muffalata and etouffee every day for lunch for almost nine months...If you would have cut me open, I would have bled a rice and olive roux. :bounce:

The all too brief time I spent down on Toulouse Street....found me at a new bar every afternoon trying their charbroiled oysters. Hands down one of my favorite dishes anywhere, anytime.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Man, please.....you done flung a craving on me the moment I saw your étouffée.

It kicked up my New Orleans wants !!!!

Yesterday's grilled chicken leftovers yielded themselves wonderfully for todays chicken & sausage gumbo.

The all too brief time I spent down on Toulouse Street....found me at a new bar every afternoon trying their charbroiled oysters. Hands down one of my favorite dishes anywhere, anytime.
Outstanding man!

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
That Jambalaya looks good to me. If that Roux was just a little darker it would look real close to my grandma's...yours looks good.

I just might fight for some real good crawfish bisque

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Dub

That Jambalaya looks good to me. If that Rouix was just a little darker it would look real close to my grandma's...your looks good.

I just might fight for some real good crawfish bisque

I found out the hard way that Roux goes from darker to way too dark, aka burnt, with the quickness. :rofl:

I’d link some cooking videos I enjoyed from a sexy Cajun gal, but the language gets a bit spicy, too.

Some folks make everything look easy. I guess it’s all about experience. I feel like a fish outa water when I’m cooking indoor stuff.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I see my fat fingers typed an I in roux.

Grandma used to tell me if you get dem black specks in there... throw it out and do it right next time.

I have many relatives that their last name ends in eaux
PM the links...I'm OK with spicy

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I see my fat fingers typed an I in roux.

Grandma used to tell me if you get dem black specks in there... throw it out and do it right next time.

I have many relatives that their last name ends in eaux

Mama used to could make a fine roux. She taught me how, or tried to. After 45 years I still sometimes try to rush things and end up having to throw out, clean up, and start over.....

Artfuldodger

Was wondering about the differences myself. Etouffee is typically thicker than a gumbo. Etouffee is usually only one meat. It looks to be made with a lighter roux than Jambalaya.
Usually the rice is cooked with the Jambalaya but with Etouffee it's served over the rice.

Ya'lls versions of etouffee and gumbo look pretty good.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Home run blood. I'm wiping slobber off my mouf right now.

ryork

If I'm making a real dark almost chocolate roux for something like a duck gumbo, the darker the meat the darker the roux as a rule, I'll spend an hour to hour and a half making the roux. Roux adds incredible flavor, but if you scorch it, that's all you'll taste.

I don't use any roux in a Jambalaya

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member