First Chanterelles of the Year

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Thread starter #1
Went to my first patch down by the creek and in less than 3 minutes had a pound or so. That was a gracious plenty, plus the skeeters were about to take me home for supper so I came on back to the house, stole a couple of eggs from a broody ol` Mahran, and fixed up an omelet as fresh as you can make one. mushroom1.jpg mushroom2.jpg mushroom3.jpg mushroom4.jpg mushroom5.jpg mushroom6.jpg mushroom7.jpg

GLS

Nic, nice haul. My stomach is growling over the last photo. Chants and eggs are about as good as it gets. I intended to look Saturday but got tied up. Hope I can get out this week. Gil

GLS

Nic, I went to my usual spots today and pickins' were sparse. I don't believe we had the rain from Alberto like you had further west. The time is right for here, but not the rain. Gil

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Thread starter #4
Nic, I went to my usual spots today and pickins' were sparse. I don't believe we had the rain from Alberto like you had further west. The time is right for here, but not the rain. Gil

Up until a couple of days ago we`ve been getting regular rains. A couple of my patches did go underwater for a about 24 hours, but they should come back strong. I`m fixing to ease out there and see about another bag full.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
I'm jealous. We just had the wettest May on record, but no chants yet. It's usually July before they start here. It'll probably be a drought by then.

Great post, and good eats Nic! I appreciate you posting because it was a great tip-off for me. I had other plans Saturday morning, but saw your thread when I woke up. I knew if you had food chants in your necknof the deep South, then they'd just be cranking up in the hills. I headed out to check two spots for chants to see if they have started yet. I checked one place in Hall County and found a great abundance of buttons just making their appearance. That one spot is loaded, and should yield chants aplenty. I went to another spot in White County, and found where only a few we're beginning to emerge. It is higher in altitude than the spot I checked in Hall. If this precipitation continues as usual, it is going to make a fine year. We have had a near historic amount of rain here lately, and the fungi aren't hurting for moisture. It's raining right now, in fact.
Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed your posts and pics as always!

GLS

Sunday I checked a half dozen of the usual spots after Friday and Saturday showers and I found about a pound. A few here and a few there, but no big flushes. Soil temps are just about right and now it'll take some heavy showers. Gil

Hey Nic, you've mentioned your method of preservation before, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Don't you Sautee them in butter or something like that?

I'm asking because I have essentially been dehydrating them. I used to do it in the greenhouse, but this time of year, the higher temps almost "burn" a lot of them. They will dehydrate in a day usually, but lots of them turn black. I switched to dehydrating them on a pan beneath a ceiling fan in my house and with a small "personal" fan blowing on them at room temp. Also takes a day, maybe a day and a half. I'm looking for a different method because when you dehydrate them like this, and then rehydrate them, you usually get pretty chewy mushrooms after cooking. I am looking for a way that preserves a more natural texture. Can you tell us your method again please? After the freezer, when you cook them, is the texture fairly to fresh chants?

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Thread starter #13
Kyle, Gil, up above, taught me how to save the excess chants I gather. Saute them lightly in an olive oil-butter mix, then freeze in usable portions. The Redhead got some vacuum seal containers that I put them in to freeze for the winter.

GLS

Kyle, I sauté as Nic does and freeze 4 oz. portions of chants. I use a food saver and vacuum bags. When I'm ready to serve them, I put the bag in a pot of water and simmer until thawed. They are as tasty and tender as the day they were first cooked. Gil