First fly rod and reel

gunnurse

Why did you skimp so on your purchase? ::ke:

That is a great combo. Good job. If you buy a good combo at the start of your fly fishing adventure, you are going to enjoy it much more.

JonathanG2013

Thanks gun. The guy at bass pro also gave me a rod tube for free. At ft myers fl this week. Might have to try it out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Should work well. I have a TFO 7wt that is my go-to smallmouth and trout streamer rod. 6wt is a bit heavy for trout and bream, but very workable, and is about perfect for bass. The TFO I have casts like a rocket.

lampern

For black bass? Sure

For striped bass? I'd go with a bigger rod

Plenty good for largemouth bass and bream

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
20 to 30 years ago or more, the standard recommendation for trout was a 6. As rods have gotten faster, the standard recommendation seems to be 5. While a rod may be rated 5/6, a 6 will load the rod for shorter casts better than a 5 wgt. line on the same rod and conversely the 5 for longer casts. Although the mass of the 6 will more comfortably throw poppers, weighted flies and streamers than the 5 and deal with wind better than a 5. Gil

Caddisfly01

Sweet..Your first fish on the fly was a solid warmouth on a popper - man that will spoil you for sure..Nice job!!(y)

JonathanG2013

After I bought my fly rod and reel I bought a few flies and a fly box. Where I went the guy said for me to get some Duracell flies. I bought 4. Would those work well for all the trout species in north georgia?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After I bought my fly rod and reel I bought a few flies and a fly box. Where I went the guy said for me to get some Duracell flies. I bought 4. Would those work well for all the trout species in north georgia?
For the ones that came out of the stock truck, yes. You can probaby catch some wild fish on them too, especially if the water has a little color.

Caddisfly01

Well, I will defer to NC on this..Hard to find a Duracell fly in any classic fly pattern catalog, but I prefer more traditional dry flies, streamer etc., as opposed to nymphs (not into using bobbers for trout)..But fresh stockers will almost certainly go after them..Good luck..

Yep, the Duracell nymph is one of Craig McDonald's patterns(I'm about 99.9% sure of that) and tied in lots of colors...depends on what you like. You'll see it a lot with Euro nymph guys, but could be tied in a green/olive color and used behind a hopper, Moodah Poodah, or caddis pattern pretty much anywhere in GA.